Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Depressed newbie, please help...

Re: Depressed newbie, please help...

Rob,
    I understand your situation. I have been a nurse for about three years after being a Paramedic since 1994. The reason I became a nurse and I think you might be interested in is to go on to CRNA school which I start in May of this year. As a CRNA you have a lot more autonomy heavy science base, and intense critical thinking. here are a couple of websites you might look at if interested. You can always email me fallonrn@yahoo.com. www.aana.com, www.allnurses.com go to nursing specialties then to nurse anesthesia. www.gaswork.com, www.gasjobs.com. CRNA's make some between $120,000/yr to $300,000 per year for something that seems like an awesome job as well as 4-6 weeks of vacation/education per year. Hope this helps some. Also try mentoring a young boy or teen and teach them things like soccer or other things you are interested in. Like a big bother or something similar. Good luck.

CorollaULEV,
    maybe i am too hard on myself, but i'm not sad about that or does it bother me that much i dont think. but others have told me i am too hard on myself. what makes me depressed/sad is the fact i'm a nursing major and i am embarrased of it. is this what made you depressed? it's really odd, i am SO happy and jolly when i'm away from nursing, such as when i'm just chilling on the weekends, but man when clinicals come around i am shot down. i've tried various things to help me cope and really right now my biggest concern is my lack of focus and energy. my memory seems to have gone to hell. caffeine doesn't help and i tried other stimulants. a lot of the students i know are taking aderol but i dont have access to something like that. i hate to take medicines but if they help, they help.

today at clinical it was horrible. i was left in the back to walk alone, the girls didn't talk to me much, and yep i was asked 'why are you going to be a nurse, why not a doctor?' my clients daughter also told us she didn't want us taking care of her mother cause we were students. nothing seemed to go right. i left clinicals thinking about if i made the right choice going into nursing and if i was really pushing myself to my fullest potential by doing so, something that means a great deal to me. i want to make sure i am pushing myself to my limits and fullest potential. can you relate? i notice you just got your degree how is it going?

jacads,
    thanks for the links. i actually wanted to be a CRNA for the longest time, but money was the only reason. after learning about the job and seeing it in action, it just didn't seem it was for me. not that i am trying to avoid stress, but anesthesia takes the cake. that kind of responsibility is too much for me. i do like (just 'like', not 'love') the sciences such as physiology and biology, but i was told at CRNA school you are loaded with the chemistry and some physics, two courses i cannot stand and am awful at.

one thing i am trying to find out information on is exactly what can i branch off into with a nursing degree, can i do physical therapy or be a sports trainer or physician assistant, etc etc? stuff w/o the name 'nurse' in it. just so i can keep my options open ya know? also, ironically you mentioned it, i am a mentor for 3 boys. i take them out every week or two and have been doing it for the past 2-3 years. i am not too big a fan of kids and honestly, i am very tired of doing it because i would rather spend my time with people my own age and the kids get very annoying at times, but i do it with a smile on my face and their mom told me they are in love with me so i'm glad in that sense.

how do you feel about teaching nursing? at a college and stuff? just wondering if you have any info on that.

Nursing school is a trial by fire--know and believe that "this too, shall pass." The men I have encountered in school and on the job have been by and large, the best--nurses, men, caring human beings. Just keep on doing the best you can and don't worry about what others think. I have found the best cures for depression are a few minutes of sunshine daily, direct your thoughts off yourself and on the needs of others, a brisk walk, good diet, plenty of good sleep, peace with God and others, and believe it or not, a daily dose of sublingual B-12 (my supplement has B-6 and folic acid too). The B vitamin supplement is just something I stumbled upon (the sublingual route is especially important for the B-12--I never got the good results I get now with just po supplements). For all nursing school students: PERSEVERE, ENDURE, HAVE COURAGE.

I am a female nurse, so I don't know whether I am allowed to post on this site. I just want to say that you should, if at all possible, seek some type of counseling or possibly medication to help with your depression. As a chronic sufferer, now much better, it pains me to hear of anyone so distraught. I remember nursing school, though it was long ago. Our pediatric rotation was so awful and so grueling that when it was time for our pictures for the yearbook to be taken, none of the ones of we who had just completed Pedi could be used as we looked so utterly depressed and exhausted; not one! I know there is little time available, but perhaps even light exercise, ie fifteen minutes of walking or other form of exercise may also be helpful. I know it sounds cliche and I used to sneer at such advice, thinking nothing so simple could possibly help with my type of problems, severe as they were. But little by little I learned that even small things, though not curative, can help, which is better than nothing. Please don't feel bad about your decision to become a nurse. It must feel awfully insulting and degrading to hear people imply that you are wasting your talents and intellects when you could be a doctor or whatever. You are young yet. Who knows what the future holds? If you stay in nursing, good for you. Life is full of possibility, most especially when you are young. Lastly, though, I remember that by the time I had finished nursing school, I had had enough. When it was time to take the boards, and this was the "olden days" when it meant sitting for six hours of exams on two days, some of my friends were joking that at least it would be "cooler in February" as we took the boards in a non-air conditioned former army induction center in Boston during a heat wave. I told them that if I did not pass on the first go around I had no intention of taking the boards again! And I meant it. That did not happen, but that was how demoralized I felt by the end of it all. I hope things improve for you. I really do.

You don't need to be a guy to post in the male nursing section

Just like to be a member of the american association of men in nursing, you don't need to be a guy.
    http://www.aamn.org

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Hey rob21,
    You're showing symptoms of clinical depresion. This is NOT something to be ashamed of, or thought of as a sign of weakness. This does not mean that you are less of a man. It only means you are HUMAN. Your depression might be from external causes (like nursing school) which will eventually end, or from something internal. Don't suffer from what I call the "John Wayne syndrome ",where you think you just "need to get over it on your own". That's usually not effective.
    I also had to basically give up my life while I attended nursing school. Everyone does. It was a very tough time of life for me too and though it may seem that you don't fit in with your male or female peers, I didn't either. From your GPA you're definately a cut above the others and there's probably a lot of jealousy. But, that doesn't matter at all. I had absolutely no desire to keep in touch with any of my classmates after graduation. I kept myself focused and made it through (one of only two guys out of eight who did). The longest ten years of my life was the last month of nursing school.
    A nursing degree can be a major springboard for many future endevors. You can go LOTS of places from there.
    What you can do right now is to find someone to talk to. I doesn't have to be a fellow student. It can be anyone. A casual aquaintance, a relative or find a support group in the phone book. You won't believe how much it helps just to share your feelings with someone and find that you're not the only one feeling the way you do. Next I highly suggest exercising. You won't believe how important this is. Swim, hike, lift weights or whatever you enjoy. Get a dog and walk him five miles twice a day. Just do it on a regular basis. Everyone I know had to put their life on hold while they went to school. That's normal.
    Lastly, medication can help, but it's much more effective if you have a therapist too. There's no shame in asking your regular or school physician for an antidepressant. You'd be amazed how many people take them. Many of the psychiatrists I work with take meds and go to therapy. And forget about the people mistaking you for a doctor thing, because after you start working you'll be training them. And your student loans will be paid off years before theirs.
    You have to take care of yourself before you can take care of others.
    Please let me know how things are going for you.
    Good Luck,

An old psychiatric nurse

Hey, sorry to intrude on your forum, I am a female considering nursing, I have a background in science and felt that nursing would be the perfect job for someone seeking clinical, rather than laboratory experience (as I am bored with the lab). However, having talked to many nurses, many of which are looking to get out I am confused as to whether this is for me. Its intersting to see that for men its such a blow to their self esteem, to have to do this job. I guess cause all that nurturing and crap is the image projected of nurses, rather than people with ttechnical skills. Which I have to admit is what kinda puts me and a lot of my science graduated friends (who hate their jobs...or are unemployed...who god forbid should have to do something that isn't "academic" enough). I personally am not one of those bleading hearts, and thats not what attracts me to nursing, it is the science behind it as well as I feel that its an ongoing learning experience.
    I think it is even harder for younger women to become nurses, cause of the way we tend to be treated as assistants no matter what we do. But hey guys I hear your pain... I have a friend that is trying to get out, because she feels that shes just the helper, and that every other health professional gets beter treatment, and shes sick of doctors who have a "god complex". Anyhow, I am put off from nursing, but I'll probably try to swallow my pride and put up with it. Currently theres a huge nurse shortage (In Australia) and I am looking for job security. The moneys not great, but I feel this ias a great stepping stone for me,.....as long as I can put up with all the condescending idiots.
    This is a female dominated profession...so I expect it must be pretty exciting for guys.....as for me, I'll probably also be typecast as a brainless moron, who loves to read womens weekly and gossip....like so many idiots have told me ...oh nurses you know all they do is gossip...incidentally this has come from colleagues who are doctors.....yeah o.k all they do is gossip....more like they're too busy cleaning up other peoples crap, being yelled at by patients and patronised by doctors....anyhow.....

I remember when I first got out of college and felt the same in different circumstances. It may just be a function of age and starting a new life. I went back for an ADN after 15 yrs of work in the real world.

Logically I can tell you that nursing is the best job a man could ever have. Between the flexibility and income there are few equals. Docs are stuck with their practice while we nurses can travel at a whim. I've never had a job where they begged me to work overtime and then thanked me each time I did it. Over the past couple of years I've made over $100,000/yr which I never thought I would see. Mind you I work at least 60 hrs per week.

The girls are girls. They love to talk and just don't think like guys. I have a few friends (guys, my wife wouldn't care for girlfriends) in other professions I've met while working. There are few jobs where there are as many personal contacts as in healthcare. All the same it is best to find your friends through outside clubs, activities to help broaden your horizons. It's a shame to go out somewhere and have conversations about work.

I've worked 7 years as an Army officer, 7 years as a manager in the service industry, and am on my 7th year in nursing (10 if you count CNA) and I am content with staying with it.

I have one additional thought that most people don't voice. Many nurses approach nursing in a mothering sort of way. You will see this manifested on many levels. Nursing in my opinion is about being a patient advocate not their mother or father. We interact with the physicians and allied health professionals to ensure the patient receives the best outcome possible. This includes being professional, courteous, and a good communicator. In a female dominated field like this, I'm afraid the mothering aspect tends to be infused in the educational process and continues on into the job as well. You just have to ignore it. There are always women who live to exert their influence over others and especially men. Ignore it. It's unimportant.

Be friendly as you have been. If you can't find or don't have time for other interests while in school, don't dispair. It's only a few years.

It's worth the effort.

Mark Jackson

I think the best to do when one is depressed is to work out, not only ounce but regularly. This will boost you up no matter what. When those endorphines kick in you'll start seeing and feeling better. Sometimes, that's all it will take. But having friends and having a good time is very important too. Sometimes a little rock in our shoe can be a big problem.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast