Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Where to Start?

Where to Start?

Hello all. I have recently started thinking about going to school with a goal of becoming an RN. I am currently a stay at home mother so my schedule is pretty open. My question is where should I start? I have a friend from high school that also recently went back to school to work as a nurse and she said to start by getting my CNA and then start working in the field right away. From there she said that her education path is going to be to get her Diploma in Nursing and then go to Associates or Bachelor's in Nursing. does that sound like a good way to tackle this or is there a better way? Again my end goal at this point in time is to become an RN but I would like to start working in the field fairly soon that was the reason I was thinking of starting with the CNA if that will get me a job and at least get me started.

Re: Where to Start?

Quote Originally Posted by tvergil View Post
    Hello all. I have recently started thinking about going to school with a goal of becoming an RN. I am currently a stay at home mother so my schedule is pretty open. My question is where should I start? I have a friend from high school that also recently went back to school to work as a nurse and she said to start by getting my CNA and then start working in the field right away. From there she said that her education path is going to be to get her Diploma in Nursing and then go to Associates or Bachelor's in Nursing. does that sound like a good way to tackle this or is there a better way? Again my end goal at this point in time is to become an RN but I would like to start working in the field fairly soon that was the reason I was thinking of starting with the CNA if that will get me a job and at least get me started.

How fast do you want to do it? I just finished my associates RN. I did it in 4 years and have 3 kids. Unless you are single and want to go fast paced...I think go with the CNA first. Not only will it give you a feel for the field, but also an understanding for the CNA's once you're a nurse. Another good thing..as a healthcare employee...some places will give you scholarships.

I am wanting to get through asap. I have also heard that the CNA will get me started in the field and then I can go from there by enrolling in college. As far as the CNA goes, do most colleges offer the class individually or does it usually get offered as part of a degree program? Like if I were to enroll in school to get my diploma/associates/bachelors in nursing would I take a class for the CNA during that schooling? Thanks again.

I'm not sure about that. I got a job as a CNA to make sure I could handle the healthcare field, then they put me through school.

How did you go about getting your CNA?

Member Extraordinaire

Contact your local community college- most of them have CNA certification programs.

About how long does the course last? Any idea on typical costs?

Also, my end goal is to become an RN and I am thinking it best to go for my Bachelors instead of just stopping with an Associates. Would getting my CNA be a good place to start? Or should I just get into a bachelors program in nursing?

Hi tvergil Im new to all this too - I am also shooting for a bachlores, I think if your gonna do it go all the way and you have more office oppurtunities I heard. I did my CNA last semester to get my feet wet in the feild and feel more comfortable - I hope it will help me in the RN course to know more about the feild and get used to the doctors, patients and higher ups and general way of doing things. My CNA was finished in one semester (actually a little less) and I went to my community college to do it. I am also taking my basics at the community college, costs a bit less and an easier transition to college than jumping into a university. I hope to get into the University of Texas nursing school BSN program. You can get the prereq. list from any university you choose and if you cant decide on a university just yet get all your hopefull schools prereq. lists and take the classes that are required by all first (im actaully taking all the harder classes first while Im fresh haha, you need to make REALLY GOOD grades because most schools have waiting lists and you will be competing with others) and also you may be able to learn more about which school would be best for you from other students and nurses you meet down the line. All the universities should have the prereqs for the community colleges that are needed and accepted for transfer.
    Speak to a counselor but be warned I have found some counselors to be misleading or totally wrong in some situations, best to talk to someone in the nursing department of the school, and talk to more than one person. Talk to people as much as you can.

For your basics are you just taking a bunch of science classes or are there some specific basic classes needed before you can get into a nursing program?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast