Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: A.S vs. A.A.S??

A.S vs. A.A.S??

I have been looking around at some local colleges and have called and spoke to a few of them but I have to say I really don't think I am anymore prepared or sure of what I want to do than when i started thinking about going back to school. I also keep seeing a lot of information on Associates of Science degrees and Associates of Applied Science degrees. What would be the best to get into and why? I have seen that most of the A.A.S degrees seem to offer specific nursing programs and the A.S degrees are just specific to science degrees from what I can tell. Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Member Extraordinaire

Re: A.S vs. A.A.S??

In order to qualify to take boards to be a registered nurse, you need to have a SPECIFIC nursing degree from an accredited nursing program.

so as long as the school is accredited things are good right? And the accreditation I am looking for is the NLNAC right?

Member Extraordinaire

Yes, you either have to have an Associate's degree or Bachelor's degree in Nursing (ADN or BSN) No other degree will qualify you to take state boards.

That is the very confusing part because there are a lot of colleges that offer a degree in nursing but don't show the school as being accredited. That seems to be pretty misleading don't you think? You would think that the school wouldn't be able to offer a degree in nursing without for sure being able to have its students sit for the state boards exam after completing their program?

Member Extraordinaire

Yeah, really no point in getting a nursing degree if you can't take boards & work as a nurse- I'd keep looking for an accredited school. Almost all public universities or community colleges are accredited.

Member Extraordinaire

Looks like all of those are accredited

What accreditations am I looking for specifically? I have seen a couple of them say NLNAC but I assume there are other accreditations that are accepted by the nursing board?

Member Extraordinaire

You'd have to check with your specific state's board of nursing.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast