Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: PBDS tests

Re: PBDS tests

Is the study guide digital? Could you send me a copy? I've been out of the hospital for over 6 months and want to get back into the hospital. I could use the studying. :rose:

Hello, I'm new to this site. Does anyone out there have a Labor and delivery/OB study guide for PBDS. I'm going to be taking it soon and am so nervous. Thank you
    Lauralee

All the folks who are complaining and cussing and calling the PBDS tests "stupid" need to calm down......first of all the PBDS is not a "test".....it is an "assessment" tool.....I can only speak for the two hospitals I work for but the PBDS assessment is used to get an idea of where the new nurse is at on critical thinking skills, techincal skills and interpersonal skills so we can "tailor" their orientation. There is no pass/fail at my hospitals. These video's are about very basic nursing.....it's not about being a physician and diagnosing patients.....it's about nursing skills......what would you do if your patient has these vital signs and was turning blue, etc.......the problem is in writing down what you know to do......don't overlook the obvious or say after the fact....well of coure I knew that.....it's so obvious I didn't think I had to write that......anyway in three years I have only sent 2 nurses packing because of PBDS......I don't know how they got through nursing school but they need to go through again......:confused:

Member Extraordinaire

I agree with you, to some extent, but how can you say that it is not pass/fail when you have "sent two nurses packing" because of it??? When a traveler's contract is based on this test, which is usually the case, then it is definitely pass/fail.
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

I agree with AmandaWIRN! It is most certainly PASS/FAIL if you sent "2 nurses packing" as a result of their PBDS results. And it DOES NOT qualify who or what kind of nurse you are! I've been a nurse for over 17 years in ICU--that test is not a qualifier of my experience or how I am as a nurse. It is a stupid test! Nurses have qualified themselves by taking STATE board examinations. Those who have passed are qualified to work at the bedside.

There is ENOUGH stress with packing up, moving half way across the nation and then having the stress added on by having to "PASS" a PBDS at a travel assignment! By the way, that test is very subjective depending on who is grading it. :wink_smile:
    While you deem that the nurse didn't pass it, other hospitals might deem that the nurse did pass it. Again, that test is very subjective.

Kudos and cheers to the hospitals that don't require this testing!

Member Extraordinaire

I agree- I took the test and passed it for my very first travel assignment, but even though I passed, I will never again take an assignment at a hospital that requires it....
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Quote Originally Posted by AmandaWIRN View Post
    I agree- I took the test and passed it for my very first travel assignment, but even though I passed, I will never again take an assignment at a hospital that requires it....
    Nor will I!

Hi,

This is my first post. HELP. I am starting a new job at a hospital after a long time out of nursing (and not that much experience at that). I just read over the orientation paperwork and learned that I have to take the PBDS test (med-surg, I hope) on Tuesday. I have a horrible sick feeling in my gut and am worried I won't pass. I really need this job. Could anyone please email me a study guide or offer any advice. Thank you.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12