Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: PBDS tests

PBDS tests

I am about to start a new assignment and I am required to take the PBDS test. How many questions and what type of questions does this test ask. Does anyone know of where I can get a study guide for this test, or what book can I buy to help me prepare?
    Thank you!

Erin

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: PBDS tests

Here is a link about the test: Clinical One :: Client Required Testing

'Cat'

I just finished taking this test today. There are 3 parts to the test.
    Part 1: "Startling statements". They give you a statement that is made by a patient, family member or an MD. Then you have to write how you would respond to the statement or question in 1-2 sentences. Think Psych nursing...be therapeutic and you have that part licked.

Part 2: 7 questions re: a problem with an IV and you have to write how to fix the problem. Then 8 pictures involving IV's and you have to state what the problem is and how you would deal with it. ie: Infiltrated IV...D/C IV, warm compresses, notify MD and restart IV.

Part 3: (The hardest): 10 different video scenarios and you have to figure out what the problem is and write down EVERYTHING that you would do and the rationale behind your interventions. I found this difficult. Some were so blatant while others were obscure and could be 2 or 3 different things but you were only allowed to state one problem. Study up on MI, Pneumos, Perfed bowel, Sepsis, DKA, (sorry can't remember the rest)...

Hope this helps anyone who has to take this ridiculous test.

Question Re: PBDS tests

Is this test used only for travelers and only for ICU? I know a local hospital where I live uses the test for per diem and travelers. I don't know a lot about the PBDS except I heard it was hard, the agency has to pay $150 for the nurse to take the test and it can only be taken once a year????? Any info would be appreciated. Thanks!

Member Extraordinaire

Erin- sent you the study guide via e-mail.

Donna- it's not only used for ICU- I work ER & took it, but there is no ER version, so they gave me the med/surg version- wasn't too bad. It's not only used for travelers, either. It was originally intended to be given not as a pass/fail test, but more to see what areas a nurse might need more orientation in. Unfortunately, it has now been more widely used as a pass/fail test to "weed out" travelers at some facilities- that's how it was when I took it- if I didn't pass, my assignment would have been cancelled.

Thanks for the info. I am thinking about either a perm position for now at this hospital in their PCU. I need to get my ICU skills back up to date, or I may just go straight to the unit. I know that several of the agencies here in town use the test, but I haven't contacted the hospital yet because I am still uncertain what I want to do. I really want to take another travel assignment, but my husband doesn't want to travel now, but if I could find someone to travel with I think I would go.

How do I get a study guide?

Thanks,
    donna

The main point to remember is to give a MEDICAL DIAGNOSE as you watch the film..of a patient with a problem...
    ..DO NOT GIVE A NURSING DIAGNOSIS.......
    If the film shows a pt. guarding the abd. put Appendicitis. Then the things you would do, call the dr., anticipate a Ct scan, labs then tell why these are needed. Or a pt. clutching their chest put MI..
    Magnet hospitals use PBDS and for their staff also.

Good luck
    k

I was wondering if anyone had a study guide for the PBDS test. I took an assignment in adult ICU that requires it. I didn't realize that they could cancel the contract if I did not pass it. She mentioned it in the interview but never mentioned cancelling the contract. I asked a friend that travels and she said she's taken it, and I should do fine. But the longer I research it, the more nervous I get by reading posting of those that didn't pass. I've read the general info, just looking for something more specific and I've seen post of people stating they had a study guide. Thanks so much for any info

Smile Re: PBDS tests

I believe I took this test as a graduate nurse, at my first nursing job. Everybody newly hired took the test in a room together. It was difficult being a new grad, but I felt like I did an O.K. job on it. If I had known what it was and the fear behind the test I would have been so nervous! I thought it was just part of orientation.

Hello everyone,

I am new to UltimateNurse and thought would give it a shot. I am starting a travel assignment in Tx and am in desperate need of the
    PBDS study guide and I need it today. Can anyone help!!! Hope to make new friends. Need to get use to this site. Thanks

Preeti

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast