Thread: Nursing ranks

Nursing ranks

Hi there I am a nursing student in South Africa, I would like to know what the differant ranks are in the USA, here we have the care worker who basically can only do washes and feed patients, then there is the ENA or enrolled nursing assistant who does the above but also basic observations eg vitals, hgt's, Hb's etc, then we have EN or enrolled nurses who are also called staff nurses, this is my level at present, we do basically everything from washes to meds, dressings, I.V's, bloods assesments etc basically everything the RN does but without the authority but we have to do it due to understaffing issues - nursing ratios of 1:9 at times! and the RN has all the above duties plus management. Is it much the same there in the USA or totally differant?

Exclamation Re: Nursing ranks

Quote Originally Posted by qcumba View Post
    Hi there I am a nursing student in South Africa, I would like to know what the differant ranks are in the USA, here we have the care worker who basically can only do washes and feed patients, then there is the ENA or enrolled nursing assistant who does the above but also basic observations eg vitals, hgt's, Hb's etc, then we have EN or enrolled nurses who are also called staff nurses, this is my level at present, we do basically everything from washes to meds, dressings, I.V's, bloods assesments etc basically everything the RN does but without the authority but we have to do it due to understaffing issues - nursing ratios of 1:9 at times! and the RN has all the above duties plus management. Is it much the same there in the USA or totally differant?
    "...basically everything the RN does but without the authority but we have to do it due to understaffing issue - nursing ratios of 1:9 at times!"

OMG, I don't mean to be rude but I hope I never need healthcare in your part of the world. BTW, doing nursing care without an RN license is a NO GO in the United States and on the Med/Surg floors a 1:9 ratio ain't nothing. Sounds like nursing is totally different in the USA compared to your local.

Maybe someone else will take the time to explain in depth the job descriptions of various nurse levels [I would not use the term rank, at least in civilian nursing] we have; LVN, RN/ADN, RN/BSN, RN/MSN, RN/PhD, etc.

Good luck on your studies in becoming an RN.

Somewhere in Iraq,

Cary James Barrett, CPT AN
    TF 31 Medical Bucca
    31st Combat Support Hospital
    APO AE 09375
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

hi there - well each state is a little bit different in what the different positions can do from what I understand from my teachers.
    I am a CNA in texas
    I can do patient hygiene (bathing, oral, nail care, changing briefs and helping use the facilities, changing sheets etc.)
    feedings
    transfering patients
    I can do vitals (some places only have LVN's anad RN's do this tho) as company policy

my teachers have told me that some CNA's in other states can do more if they are trained to do so and you have to know your individual states laws and you have to be certified and licsenced to work in the particular state that you are in.
    Im assuming you will have to do some schooling before you become certified/ licensing to meet the states standards so if you are planning the move you will need to contact the individual state to see what you will need to do and they will answer your questions