Thread: Big question!!!!

Big question!!!!

Unfortunately, I have been diagnosed with Cyclical Vomiting Syndrome for the last 10 years of my life... It's a form of abdominal migrane that makes you throw up and retch for hours on end... with extremely painful headaches and stomache pain. The only thing I've found effective is smoking. I have used medicinal marijuana for almost 4 years now to control my symptoms. I have tried everything from phenergan, Zofran, and Ativan... and no known anti emetic has seemed to work for my nausea. I am seriously considering a job in the nursing field and was curious if a drug test is required in this area of work. If necessary, I could quit smoking for the profession... but would be deadly ill almost every morning of my life. Besides smoking, i haven't, nor will take any other form of drugs. Are drug tests just checking for narcotics and heavy substances? I really need someone's advice on this issue because I'm totally stuck between deciding on going to Nursing School, or a regular 4 year University. I understand how this could be a serious issue to some, but i usually smoke between the hours of 4 and 8 a.m. when i am seriously ill, and would never be high or unstable at my job or work situation. All input will be greatly appriciated.

Re: Big question!!!!

I don't know about anyone else, but I have always been under the impression that you cannot be employed in a nursing position and "high" at the same time. You say you don't get high, but the fact of the matter is that you smoke a plant that alters the body's CNS, therefore endangering critical thinking. I don't know of any instance where the place I work at would ok such a thing. Heck, they even frown on people working with pain meds on board. And yes...you are subject to random drug checks and have to be tested on employment.

So does that mean that nurses who are currently on anti anxiety medications such as xanax or ativan cannot practice nursing? These drugs also slow down the CNS. Even if nurses take their medications at night, that means they are not fully alert and allowed to practice during the day time?

That is a big question. I am not saying that people taking ANY medication that affects the CNS cannot perform the duties of nursing (you have to judge for yourself if you think you are a risk in the workplace). I happen to only know what I have heard from my own employer in mutterings about certain situations that have arisen over the years involving people and prescribed medications. What I was replying to regarding the original poster was the illicit drug use of marijuana and the fact that even though the individual doesn't deem him/herself to be "high" that doesn't mean that person isn't and that yes, that person likely would have to submit to drug testing. I, myself, have to take anti-seizure medication and know better than anyone the hell it can play on a person's CNS. So...I am not against a person working as long as they can safely function and not endanger anyone. I don't, however, condone the use of medicating one's self in ways other than that which is legal and/or prescribed. Hope that makes any sense.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Before I answered your question I looked up Cyclical Vomiting syndrome and marijuana. There was a very interesting clinical study done in Austrailia. It seems the syndrome is very rare in adults. They studied 100 patients taking smoked marijuania ( as opposed to the prescription Marinol) (90 of those patients admitted to chronic/daily use of marijuana prior to onset of the disease.) 45 of those patients were taken off marijuana and within 6 months the disease resolved. It was treated with daily antidepressant therapy and psychological counseling. Of the 45 would stayed on the marijuana and were given antidepressant and psychological counseling all were still suffering from the syndrome at the end of the study.) This was the only study I found but it suggests that smoked marijuana is not an efficatious treatment for cyclical Vomiting and may in fact contribute to the severity of the attacks.

That being said I doubt that any hospital would hire as long as you tested positive for THC. From a risk management perpective it's asking for a lawsuit if something goes wrong even if it's not your fault. Also since THC takes up to 45 days to clear from your system and you smoke daily I think by definition you would be considered impaired at least by an employer, Judge, jury or malpractice attorney.
    If I were you I would start looking for a clinical study to participate in and see if you can get treatment that works to resolve the disease rather than treatment that just bandaids the symptoms. Nursing school is about the most stressful thing I ever did and when my license was suspended for alcoholism (never drank at work but was considered impaired by deffinition)and prescription drug dependance I felt like my world had ended. I have been sober and in recovery for 9 mos now and just went back to work in a psych facility that treats addiction. I have found a new career that I love, employers, incredible s.friend in AA/NA and my nurse support group. Getting caught and being suspended was the best thing that ever happened to me.

Peace and God Bless

One happy grateful alcoholic/addict

God bless you all, and keep your head up. Please remember WHO your higher power IS!!!! You might want to add to your arsenal of programs, the "Celebrate Recovery" program which was started by the same guy who started the "Purpose Driven Life" movement... go to http://www.celebraterecovery.com ,

God Bless you all!

Tracy

Sounds to me is that you would have to be a little high if you worked day shift. So, nursing would be a bad career choice. Granted some people are smarter than others even if they have altered mental status. But, the legality is not a good idea. And also, not everyone drug tests but I did hear that it may be a new thing in the near future. :luck:

Firstly, OMG you poor thing, that sounds like a horrible condition to have.

secondly, i have always thought that nurses who take drugs- prescription or not, which can affect their ability to make good judgements should seriously consider their situation as a nurse.
    the last thing you want is to be affected and for it to affect your work. you are putting yourself at risk for making errors and setting yourself up for possible law suits.

If i was in that situation, i would get some advice from a doctor about the medication,and a career counsellor as to what options are available if you still want to pursue nursing. working as a nurse in a low risk area, such as aged care might be a better option, and prevent you from placing yourself, and your patients from risk.

Jess