Thread: OK, so I know what I want to be, but how do I get there?!

Question OK, so I know what I want to be, but how do I get there?!

From my earliest memory, I have always wanted to be in the health care field. From elementary school I wanted to be a NICU nurse....three children later and I couldn't possibly handle the stress of so many babies in peril, but my strong nurturing drive and my love of children is still with me. After breastfeeding my three children, none without trials and tribulations, I have found a passion I have never cared more for. I wish to be a maternal/natal nurse with a focus in lactation so that I can help women w/ this beautiful, yet difficult act with the same fervor and knowledge as the IBCLC's that helped me.
    But where should I start?!
    I'm currently considering the community college nearby and I could do three things:
    1). complete a 2yr RN program at the community college
    2). complete one year at the community college, or a sattelite college based at the local community college, and transfer into a BSN program
    3). RN to BSN.
    Which is the best option, and what additional education will I need to achieve my goal?

Re: OK, so I know what I want to be, but how do I get there?!

Out of those three options, the best bet for you to start making money and get experience would be the two year program at the local community college. This is the most direct route to becoming a nurse and normally costs the least. I would not recommend changing schools (I have done it 3 times). After you graduate, you will still have a year or two before you will have your dream job since you will need to gain experience in that field. Nursing school provides you with the fundamentals to work in any unit in the hospital, actually working on a specific unit is what gives you the specialized skills.
    While you are working after graduation from community college look into an online RN-BSN program. The long term benefits of a BSN will definitely pay off. What is keeping you from starting your education off in a BSN program by the way?
    Hope all works out for you!