Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Good to know what others think

Re: Good to know what others think

When someone starts getting hoity-toity about the BSN thing, I just smile and mentally picture them kissing my ADN ASS. I am secure enough not to have to say anything; just knowing I can hold my knowledge, skill, expertise and experience up against anyone is very soul-satisfying. However, I hope I never get too complacent that I think I can't learn anything--the best part of nursing is the OJT--everyone is my teacher (I learned my best hands-on skills as a new shave-tail graduate with no experience from two old battle scarred veteran nurses aides--they were the best, and I will be forever in their debt).

Paint me clueless, but..... I still haven't figured out the "difference" between BSN and ADN. Granted, I've only been a nurse for a year (ADN), but I started out in a BSN program about 18 years ago (whole other story). So far, the only difference I see is a whole lot of theory crap (amongst other b.s.) which is 'supposed' to make you a better nurse. I'm only about a semester from having an BSN if I chose to do it (started ADN with 119 credits and another AAS - ended ADN with a total of 176). I only lack (give or take) college level algebra, stats, theory, research, another humanities/fine arts and another psych/soc.

What can all this possible do for me which 20 years in hands-on medical of some sort hasn't taught me? I'm quite content where I'm at - have absolutely *zero* desire to be in management or have an AP license.

Any thoughts or theories (gotta love that word)

Oh so true. unless you want to manage or go into higher level of case coordination. I love my level of patient care, hands on. At this level I do not see any differance from diploma to a MA in nursing. It all comes down to the ability to criticaly think and experience.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12