Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Schweet

Re: Schweet

Well another update;

I graduated last Friday and have this week been putting in applications.
    I am so frustrated now. I have decided that I will nolonger be pursuing a nursing career. I have had one interview which I felt went good. But today was told that the position was filled. I have applied to all facilities in a 25 mile radius of my home. Out of all those I only had one interview the rest tell me they have no positions available even though they have adds out that they are hiring. I have spoken to many of my classmates and to a one they have all been hired. I am the only one who has yet to be hired. I give up and have an interview this afternoon with a manufacturing company for a maintenance position and if I am offered the job I plan on taking it. I love what I did in school and really would like to work in the nursing field but the reality of the matter is that I need a job and now am in the position that I must take the first job offered. Oh well I should have known with my luck that what I want I never get. Thanks for all the kind words I have received. I am just so ticked off right now.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Facilities out where I live often run ads for future calls. Often they do that, as they are contemplating 'letting someone go'.

It is a shame that you have come this far and had this happen. You mention facilities. Have you tried Home Health?

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by bakpakr View Post
    Well another update;

I graduated last Friday and have this week been putting in applications.
    I am so frustrated now. I have decided that I will nolonger be pursuing a nursing career. I have had one interview which I felt went good. But today was told that the position was filled. I have applied to all facilities in a 25 mile radius of my home. Out of all those I only had one interview the rest tell me they have no positions available even though they have adds out that they are hiring. I have spoken to many of my classmates and to a one they have all been hired. I am the only one who has yet to be hired. I give up and have an interview this afternoon with a manufacturing company for a maintenance position and if I am offered the job I plan on taking it. I love what I did in school and really would like to work in the nursing field but the reality of the matter is that I need a job and now am in the position that I must take the first job offered. Oh well I should have known with my luck that what I want I never get. Thanks for all the kind words I have received. I am just so ticked off right now.

Hey Backpacker,

What a bummer! It does sound like you have rotton luck with timing anyway. Take the maintenance position for income but please don't throw away the time and effort that you invested. Keep current applications on file and regularly call places that you see yourself working in. You have shown such amazing enthusiasm for a career in nursing that I can't imagine you being happy doing anything else. Keep at it and you WILL get nursing asssistant position.

I'm in your corner.
    R

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    Hey Backpacker,

What a bummer! It does sound like you have rotton luck with timing anyway. Take the maintenance position for income but please don't throw away the time and effort that you invested. Keep current applications on file and regularly call places that you see yourself working in. You have shown such amazing enthusiasm for a career in nursing that I can't imagine you being happy doing anything else. Keep at it and you WILL get nursing asssistant position.

I'm in your corner.
    R
    Quote Originally Posted by cougarnurse View Post
    Facilities out where I live often run ads for future calls. Often they do that, as they are contemplating 'letting someone go'.

It is a shame that you have come this far and had this happen. You mention facilities. Have you tried Home Health?
    The maint position I am taking is a traveling position. I will be traveling all over the world to clients facilities. I have to sign a 2 year contract with them. Therefore my nursing career is over before it even got off the ground.

The adds I am speaking about have been in the paper and on the net for well over a month and I am still told that they are not hiring. One of my classmates turned down a position at one of these facilities before I applied and another classmate had an interview after I applied and was offered a position. Yes I have applied at all the home health providers as well to no avail.

I have decided that I am no longer going to pursue nursing and just stick with what I can get for employment. I called today and gave up my slot in the BSN program at PSU. Hopefully it will go to someone who can get employed.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by bakpakr View Post
    The maint position I am taking is a traveling position. I will be traveling all over the world to clients facilities. I have to sign a 2 year contract with them. Therefore my nursing career is over before it even got off the ground.

The adds I am speaking about have been in the paper and on the net for well over a month and I am still told that they are not hiring. One of my classmates turned down a position at one of these facilities before I applied and another classmate had an interview after I applied and was offered a position. Yes I have applied at all the home health providers as well to no avail.

I have decided that I am no longer going to pursue nursing and just stick with what I can get for employment. I called today and gave up my slot in the BSN program at PSU. Hopefully it will go to someone who can get employed.

Well friend, you do what you have to do. Things happen for a reason and maybe you were meant to do this traveling for two years. A seed has been planted in you and something might come of it. You got kicked around at the start and if you are meant to become a nurse, it will happen. Leaving it for awhile will help you sort that out. Enjoy your journey and if you think of it, touch base with us once in awhile and let us know how things are going.

Happy trails,

R

I can't believe you are giving up on nursing. There are many ways to become a nurse.
    I'm a paramedic. It took me 20 years to become a paramedic. (the army was not conducive to becoming one) then it took me a year to get work as a paramedic mainly due to issues with my school and my new state. Right now I'm working thru my nursing pre-reqs for the "accelerated paramedic to ADN" program. I and my partner at work have done ALL pre-reqs online. Its going to take 3 yes total to get thru the accelerated program while still working my 24on 48 hour off work schedule. I wiped azz in the ER. For 8 months prior to this job. It was a hard pill to swallow. After 20 years in the army. 15 of which were as a supervisor. At my work 50% of us are working and doing the nursing school thing. As are several ER techs at the local hosp. If I were you I would consider going the ADN Route. No need to jump right in to the BSN. You can do a bsn online while you are working as a nurse. What state are you in ?? Florida is hurting for nurses/CNAs/ all the local hospitals are expanding. Good luck and don't give up the dream. Also I would look at my resume and interviews to see what I'm missing that employers are looking for. I would emphasize my non medical work experience as demonstrating my well roundedness. Sell yourself!!! Consider applying to a temp agency. Good luck!!
    brett

ER RN

ambulance driver

"when it matters most"

after reading the whole story, i guess the reason why you are refused by those facilities might be your GENDER!!!

if you are willing to work in some other areas, i am sure you could find a nurse job, there must be some special hospitals/positions welcomes male nurse more.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by frankshaft View Post
    after reading the whole story, i guess the reason why you are refused by those facilities might be your GENDER!!!

if you are willing to work in some other areas, i am sure you could find a nurse job, there must be some special hospitals/positions welcomes male nurse more.
    Hey Frank,

Have you had trouble getting nursing positions because of being male? If so, would you tell us in what type of facility or what area of specialty? I suppose there may still be areas in nursing where men may have trouble but my sense is that it's pretty rare now. If a nurse with a clean work record and no criminal history has trouble getting hired, my guess is that inexperience would be the leading cause.

I think Backpacker had trouble because he was inexperienced and the facilities he applied to were probably hiring only experienced staff. Conversely, CNA/LNAs of either gender especially nursing students readily get jobs so it was surprising.

I felt bad for him because his enthusiasm was high and he seemed very focused. It's possible too that there were things about him that he didn't disclose to us.

Just my .02

R

Quote Originally Posted by frankshaft View Post

Hey BakPakr,

Listen if you r still on-line with us, this is an all too real case cenario you r experiencing it took me quite a while to find a job as a Nurse in this area (Northern Michigan) same story as you, adds looking for help only to be told "The position is filled" or "We are not hiring now" ETT ALL...Then they hire one of my classmates. Talk about being P'd off not once,twice, or thrice but 50 or 60 times. I actualy went to Florida to work for a while and was about to move the family down to be with me when I finaly got a hit and an interview from a application I had put in locally (20ish miles from home) (beats 2,000 miles) they were the first to actualy call my refrences, at the interview one of my instructors was braught up somehow and my interviewer asked if it would be OK for her to call said instructor, I of course said YES (One of those HARDBALL instructors we all fear, (Loe and behold my interviewer had this person on speed dial. while I sat in the office she called and mentioned me, (speaker phone) it scared me when the first thing said was "YOU ARE GOING TO HIRE HIM! IF YOU DON'T YOUR A FOOL."

I then turned several shades of pink and had to swallow a very hard LUMP that was creaping up into the back of my mouth. This was one of the people who was (I thaught) way too hard on ME in school. Talk about a humbling experience.

This is an example of how hard it is for US (men) to get into this field. (NO OFFENCE LADIES) Some of the WOMEN out there are just too insecure to let a man into the field they see as belonging to them.

Please reconcider going to school to finnish what you started. If you don't then the INSECURE ONES have wone a battle we (MALE-NURSES) can not afford to lose.

BTW I used to be an industrial equipment mech myself, everything from sawmills to bull-dozers and excavators awa everything inbetwean.

KEEP UP THE FIGHT. For the sake of the future of nursing as a whole and who knows, someday you may just be the one doing the hiring and can help some poor sap avoid the trouble WE have had getting into this field.

I AM FEELING YOUR PAIN, Charlie:fishing:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Well I didn't give up. I am still so frustrated at not being hired by a facility here. I was able find work in home heath. I currently care for a great 81 yr old man. The job does not pay squat ($9.25hr) but it us a job and I hope it will lead to something better. I know it will I have faith. Still my goal is to become an RN-BSN. It was suggested that I try working for a hospital. I did but the hospitals want you to have a year of experience. I have not fully fleshed out my route to my BSN. I am thinking of getting my LPN then bridging up to my BSN via ADN. I did find out that one of the DON's that I interviewed with for a CNA position really REALLY wanted to hire me. Was told she went to bat big time to hire me but the administrator shot her down. I feel it was either my gender or age they would not give me a concrete reason. Man was I peeved but the way I look at it their loss not mine. I think I am doing a good job because the man I care for now on my 3rd shift with him I was scheduled the over night shift (9p-9a) solo so I must be doing something right. I just can't wait till I can tack RN behind my name. Now to just find funding for the school hehe. The company I work for has no tuition reimbursement or anything to help with school. Oh well there are loans and scholarships and grants. But I am still here plugging away.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast