Thread: How to handle discrimination on the job!

Unhappy How to handle discrimination on the job!

How to handle discrimination on the job!

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

I am an African-American nurse one of only 4 at my job. When I first hired the number was a lot more. However, due to normal turn over a few left. We have had in the past 18months about 10 new nurses only one of which is an african-american and she is the wife of a new doctor on staff. I know for fact that at least 6 nurses that i have encouraged to apply have never had call backs, wheres at least 3 of the new hires are less qualified with considerably less experience and through their admission were hired on the spot, before any references or skills were verified. I am completely horrified by this. Even though i have never encountered any incidents personally and have always been treated fairly I am still hurt and feel completely demoralized and discriminated against. One situation is especially disturbing. A new assist employed by the hospital for 15 years completed her lpn studies and applied for a job. She was offered $10.30/hr, only $1 difference in her pay. So naturally she turned it down and sought employment elsewhere, a couple of months later a newly graduated nurse on staff left her check stub on the nurses desk and i had to look. She was being paid $11.50! She graduated the same time as the former employee who is african-american. I know that this is discrimination but I donot know the proper channels to go through to handle these situations, can someone please help me!

Re: How to handle discrimination on the job!

Oohhhh... no one's gonna touch that one!

Maybe you should file a complaint with the EEOC and let them investigate it.
    :houra:

You think you got troubles, try being a man and living in a backwoods community that is primarily catholic; oh yea, did I mention that I'm a protestant.

At least 10% of the graduates of our local college nursing program are men, allmost all have aplied for work at the local hospital with a whopping big fat zero being hired in the last several years. The only one I know of who actualy got hired was one who was open about his homosexuality and very vocal about his GROUP "watching" the hospital for evidence of gay rights infringments, he was the lasat man to be hired here.

The EEOC won't even return our phone calls anymore.

A little personal note for you. Lay off stressing the African American thing.
    Either your an American or an African; makes no difference to me either way, to me your just a Nurse and I hope you don't look down on me for my gender after all I didn't have a choice in that.:eek:
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.