Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Welcome to the Military Nursing Forum!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the Military Nursing Forum!

Welcome to the Military Nurses Forum! This is also a Forum for those with family, friends, etc., in the Military. I would also like to dedicate it to MagRedC5, who is presently stationed in 'The SandBox'.

'Cat'

Re: Welcome to the Military Nursing Forum!

Thanks Cat!

If, anyone would like to ask me a question[s] regards to military nursing, specifically Army Nurse Corps, I'm definitely the SME... Subject Matter Expert. I'd be more than happy to help those considering serving this great country of ours as a military nurse. IMHO, [although never been an LVN/LPN] the Army Medical Dept. [AMEDD] is great place for LVNs to gain nursing skills. The AMEDD has a great LVN program and are given more opportunities as a nurse compared to civilian nursing.

Of course, as a BSN & Army Officer the Army Nurse Corps is great career, too.

HOOAH!
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Cool Re: Welcome to the Military Nursing Forum!

Hello,
    This is my first time in this (or any forum) so new experience but I have been reading them for a while. I am interested in Army and AF Reserves. I have my BSN and am an ED nurse. I have been interested in military nursing since 1992but would not leave my son, now he is grown. I contacted an AFR recruiter who sent me an app but then I was unable to contact him. I am 44 and meet the physical and professional requirements. Have the age requirments changed recently?
    Thanks for your time,
    maloner

I sincerely thank you all for your service! I met my husband in the military; he was a medic and I somehow ended up running the admin side of the aid station during training exercises, but that a whole other story....

Quote Originally Posted by maloner View Post
    Hello,
    This is my first time in this (or any forum) so new experience but I have been reading them for a while. I am interested in Army and AF Reserves. I have my BSN and am an ED nurse. I have been interested in military nursing since 1992but would not leave my son, now he is grown. I contacted an AFR recruiter who sent me an app but then I was unable to contact him. I am 44 and meet the physical and professional requirements. Have the age requirments changed recently?
    Thanks for your time,
    maloner
    The Army Nurse Corps [ANC] max age limit for initial commission is 46 years old. Plus, the ANC has a specific skill identifier [AOC] for ED nurses, 66HM5.

Feel free to email me for specific questions regards to the ANC.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWest View Post
    I sincerely thank you all for your service! I met my husband in the military; he was a medic and I somehow ended up running the admin side of the aid station during training exercises, but that a whole other story....
    Your kind words are appreciated!

This particular forum is for past, present, and future military healthcare folks, as well as friends & family of same. I'd be interested in reading about your BAS training exercises experiences. Is your husband in the healthcare field, now, as a civilian?

BTW, I sincerely appreciate you & your husband's military service... thanks!

Hey MagRedC5

My husband is now an ER RN. We were both in the Florida Army National Guard, he as a part timer, me as AGR and a GS tech. We both got out in the mid 90's so it's been a long while.

I see you've got the Tacoma weather up, are you from Ft. Lewis?? I had the opportunity to do a KPUP tour there with HHC I Corps back in 1991...beautiful place.

Quote Originally Posted by OutWest View Post
    Hey MagRedC5

My husband is now an ER RN. We were both in the Florida Army National Guard, he as a part timer, me as AGR and a GS tech. We both got out in the mid 90's so it's been a long while.

I see you've got the Tacoma weather up, are you from Ft. Lewis?? I had the opportunity to do a KPUP tour there with HHC I Corps back in 1991...beautiful place.
    My permanent duty station is Madigan Army Medical Center, FT Lewis. I'm PROFIS [on loan] to the 31st CSH, FT Bliss, TX and deployed to Iraq. I like the Puget Sound area but my wife hates the rain, which happens 9 months out of the year. I'm a Texan 101% and would like to make a PCS move to BAMC, FT Sam Houston, TX.

I am 45 with 6 years prior service with the Air Force. I joined the MTARNG in April 2007 and just finished 7 months of WTC and 68W school. I want to go to school and get my BSN. I know in the Guard I can become an Officer with an ASN. My question is I will be 47 or even 48 before I earn my ASN, will I have any chance at that age to become an Officer?

I don't have specific knowledge of the MTARNG. I do know that [like in the Guard] in the Reserve Component Army Nurse Corps [ANC] you can have an ADN but will not be promotable to MAJ w/o BSN degree.

The entry cutoff age for the ANC is 46 yrs old. However, you have 6 yrs prior service [active duty?]. Thus, for entry purposes you can subtract 6 yrs from your age... if, I'm not mistaken. Therefore, with the military in dire straits for nurses w/ADN, preferably BSN, you should not have a problem. As you know, rules & regs change all the time in the military but with the war going on waivers are always an option.

Good luck!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast