Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Welcome to the Military Nursing Forum!

Re: Welcome to the Military Nursing Forum!

WHAT has happened to nurse recruiting? No wonder there is such a NEED for military nurses-- the recruiters are spending so much time kissing a** of the New Grads who have NO idea what they are doing, rather than take a few extra steps to get a prior military EXPERIENCED RN back into AD....
    I have spent OVER a year to try and get ANY Recruiter to help me get back to AD: I am an experienced ER nurse as well--have a MSN, and am NOW paying for my own Periop nurse program.... I have been a nurse for 9 years and have deployed as well: got off of AD in 04. This entire year has been like pulling teeth to try and get someone to get off their a** and get my packet rolling---- but if I were an INEXPERIENCED GN still wet behind the ears and have no clue how to even start an IV or do a dosage calculation without killing a patient--- boy they would be all over me I guess....

I have emailed, called, texted and finally got a nurse recruiter from San Antonio to get back with me, but now I can't even get him to email back. He says since I have "not worked the floor" in a year ( I took this year off to start my Doctrine and spend time with my kids for God sake..) that I will probably have to go back to bedside nursing "for a while" before I am qualified??? HA!!!!! I was a Director for Emergency/Trauma Reional Level III in Houston and I'm not "qualified" for Amry nursing?!!!! I'm certified in BLS, ACLS, TNCC, ENPC, NRP, and credenialed in FHM and Moderate Sedation for adults and peds..... Whatever.

ANYWAY--- THIS is where the military NC is at now, and it's sad that there (from what I HEAR) is such a shortage and that our troops (and fellow experienced nurses working 5-6 shifts a WEEK--- that was what I worked as a Navy NC ) are going through because I'm not , um... "qualified".

Let's hear it for the military nc>>>>

Hi there..

I am looking into military opportunities as a RN. I have a BSN, I'm 40 years old...married...two boys ages five and eight....
    I'm about twenty lbs overweight....need to get in shape...
    I do take a mild blood pressure pill and 50mg Zoloft everyday to keep my mood good.....
    I'm also getting my thyroid checked out tommorow...family history..

So would any of the above physical things prevent me from being a miliary nurse.
    I wonder what the physical requirements are for a nurse in the Army at 40.
    I am prior service....about six years or so in the Army Reserves when I was a spring chicken.

Well thanks for your input.

Quote Originally Posted by pgrieves1 View Post
    Hi there..

I am looking into military opportunities as a RN. I have a BSN, I'm 40 years old...married...two boys ages five and eight....
    I'm about twenty lbs overweight....need to get in shape...
    I do take a mild blood pressure pill and 50mg Zoloft everyday to keep my mood good.....
    I'm also getting my thyroid checked out tommorow...family history..

So would any of the above physical things prevent me from being a miliary nurse.
    I wonder what the physical requirements are for a nurse in the Army at 40.
    I am prior service....about six years or so in the Army Reserves when I was a spring chicken.

Well thanks for your input.
    I might add that my nursing resume needs a boost. I spent some years in nursing homes on the weekends, getting my babies out of diapers. I've moved around and changed jobs a lot....not at any one position more than two years and some just several months....so my resume looks crappy that way. I got a little over a year in a half in Tele about two years ago.....but that was the highest level of more acute care nursing that I have been in....otherwise lower acuity nursing home and community nursing settings.
    So I would like to get critical care training in the Army.

Thanks for any info you have.

I should wait until Oct. 1 to see what new deals the recruiters have for the new year, huh? I have a 20k student loan to pay off...the Air Force recruiter I emailed tonight said the USAF was all out of special sign on bonus funds for this year and that the next years monies would be available after Oct 1.

Thanks again

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12