Thread: anonymity

Wink anonymity

Hi everyone!

I was wondering how another in my position would handle this.
    I have been in recovery for 2 years now. When originally confronted by my nurse manager and employer I was given a second chance and allowed to return to work after joining the Pa. VRP and a 12 week leave of abscense while working on recovery. As all of you know it was extremely stressful and unrealistic for me to return to my job of 20 years, keep my chin up, care for patients, and face my coworkers. I had to also try to stay clean. Long story short... I ended up having a positive urine and getting fired.
    This all turned out to be the right thing for me.
    I have since pulled myself up by the boot straps and worked on getting myself better.
    I ended up getting a job in the pre op area of a bariatric surgery center. It is a great job. I had to disclose my addiction to my new employer and I am being monitored by the state. But what I found liberating about my situation is the fact that only my nurse manager and her two bosses know about my problem. It is like a brand new start and I can work as nurse and take care of myself and I am no longer preoccupied with the shame of what I did
    As it turns out the surgery center I work for has contracted a new anesthsia group and guess what.... it is the same group I worked with at my previous job! Don't get me wrong... everyone has been very nice, but I find myself worrying that someone might say something.
    My nurse supervisor advised me to talk to the head of the practice and stress my need for anonymity. It seems though that they are respecting this and I was wondering if I should let it go.
    Anonymity has been so nice! My friends from my previous job have all been so great and, as strange as it sounds, I have really discovered that most people are good and respect my recovery.
    Anyway, I just thought I'd put it out there for you all to advise. Thank you all! Pam

Re: anonymity

Congratulations on 2 years!!! I know you have got to be going though a lot of anxiety right now, but maybe some perspective might help:
    That was two years ago and you have paid your dues. You are no longer guilty nor do you need to feel afraid. At the same time if you mention it to the people who you worked with before you might just be giving them a stick to hit you with. I felt compelled to confess a lot when I really shouldn't have. I would just "let go and let GOD", hold your head up and be the great nurse that you are.