Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Perioperative program

Perioperative program

I start in one on September 4th. :-)

Re: Perioperative program

congratulations. Be prepared to work hard, there is alot of material to cover. Do you have a choice on where to do your clinical? I did mine at a large teaching hospital in Toronto. It was quite an experience, and so thankful when done.

I have no choice. lol The hospital I'm at used to be part of a perioperative consortium in the area, but decided to do it themselves a few years ago.

It's the only level 1 trauma and burn center for a 4 state region, so I think it'll be a good place to get my feet wet. :-)

Question Re: Perioperative program

That sounds interesting and challenging. I did a little ortho at my prev. hospital, and where I work now, all the trauma gets sent out to bigger senters. The only ortho. we do is scopes, and rotator cuff repairs, removal of hardware etc. No open reductions etc. Good luck to you. How many students in your class? How long is your course?

Well I'm not entirely sure right now. They originally hired in early summer. One person selected had to pull out so they opened the search again and that's when I saw it and got in. I am guessing maybe 5. I'll know for sure next week or the week after.

Having a small class should be good. We had 31 in our class which was fine until we had to do our skills. Not enough instructors (2) compared to students eagerly trying to cross one more skill off their list. Just got home from hospital, was on call, well- still am. We did a lap. appendectomy. So that was nice call back. Get paid for 4 hrs. and was there less than two. At our place, the RN has to recover the pt. too.

I was right. There are only 5 in my program, and two experienced new hires to the OR. New employee and general RN orientation is finishing tomorrow and then we finally start our program.

Did you start your course today? How did it go? Don't get to over whelmed on your first day.

We "started" on Tuesday. This week and next it's all lecture and material straight from the AORN training manual. Then that weekend we'll start doing our practice labs.

I don't think it's overwhelming yet, but we are just getting into things.

How is your course going? any problems? Just keep working away at it, and you'll be fine.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast