Thread: NCLEX-PN examination for RN Students

Talking NCLEX-PN examination for RN Students

I've seen this question posted on other sites, but I would like to know if there is ANY state in the USA that allows an individual to take the NCLEX-PN exam if he or she has completed 2 or 3 semsters of a state approved RN program. I can't seem to find a straight answer anywhere and I would like to avoid having to contact the board of nursing in every single state to get an answer.

It would just be nice to be able to work as an LPN my last 1 or 2 semesters of school to get some experience and extra money.

Thanks!

Re: NCLEX-PN examination for RN Students

From my understanding of a classmate's experience, it depends on the program. Her originial university program had it set up that way. You could do one year and then sit for the NCLEX-PN if you wanted to and just stop, or you could just finish the program and go for the NCLEX-RN.

Because of the authorizations needing to be submitted to state boards, I believe it has to be built into the program and not just something you could randomly choose to do.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Local Junior College here has an LPN option for those wishing to take the PN Boards, and then can go on for the RN.

Like pipingmad said: Because of the authorizations needing to be submitted to state boards, I believe it has to be built into the program and not just something you could randomly choose to do.

'Cat'

Yes, it is possible. Although it differs from school to school and state to state, you must have Med/Surg, OB, Pharm, and Psych lecture/clinical [passing of course] before sitting for the LPN-NCLEX prior to completion of RN program.

Do take in to consideration, it may be only a semester or two prior to completion of the RN program. A couple of people I knew who had the option at the RN program I attend opt out because of only having a couple of semester left to completing RN school.

Never hurt to seek information, if no other reason, to pass on to others.
    ER-RN

It is alright to get tired, but, never give up."

Proud Grancama!

Thanks everybody for the input. I'm taking this into consideration but as you pointed out MICU-RN, I'm not sure it would serve much purpose doing this my last semester. We'll see.