Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Diversion vs. Probation?

Re: Diversion vs. Probation?

God bless you all, and keep your head up. Please remember WHO your higher power IS!!!! You might want to add to your arsenal of programs, the "Celebrate Recovery" program which was started by the same guy who started the "Purpose Driven Life" movement... go to http://www.celebraterecovery.com ,

God Bless you all!

Tracy

I am an LVN in CA where diversion isn't an option because there is no diversion program for LVN's in CA. I got a DUI (alcohol) in November 2004, and the BON is just now finalizing the stipulation agreement. This whole ordeal has been a nightmare even with an attorney to handle all the details. If I had a choice of either probation or diversion, I think I would have chosen diversion. I am still required to attend nurse support groups, drug test, etc. for 3 years. I just assumed leave nursing all together as It was a second career choice for anyway. Just when I had made-up my mind to start anew, and started applying to graduate schools, I was told I have to work as a nurse a minimum of 22 hours/week while I'm on probation if I wish to keep my license. All in all, diversion doesn't mark your record, you can move on when you’re done, probation will haunt you forever and it seems just as laborious. Good luck.

I'll be entering the diversion program in CA and was wondering what to expect. I am ready to be commited to recovery but am very worried about being able support myself financially while in diversion. Is there a possibility of ever finding work. And if there is what type of places will hire me? Can you please help.

Hello,
    I agree with Happy&G8ateful that your honesty to work, the state your family and yourself is The most important factor. It sounds like you are, and are accepting and allowing God to lead the way. I would def. stick to the diversion, as it is delianated by nurses who know that addiction is a disease. The criminal system does not care. If you are addict, your sobriety comes first and we have to make time for ourselves. I would apply to jobs in person and show your sincerity and honesty and I believe some folks that understand, will be impressed. Plus, they'll need to know that your needs are a priority for safe nursing care. When people are dishonest, I believe that they are not truly done using. They continue to decieve. The diversion program is meant to mimick what works for most, the 12 step programs, and the work involved. I use to fudge on my sobriety days but 1) It made me feel guilty (which leads me to drink). When I am open about everything then i am o.k with myself and people can see me for who I truly am. God will find you just the right place, but You need to do the footwork and show your excitement for a new life, and why even your addiction has made you a better nurse (you are more knowledgable, understanding, non-judgemental and Appreciate everyday. Good luck to you and show your positive side!!

Quote Originally Posted by skione View Post
    I'll be entering the diversion program in CA and was wondering what to expect. I am ready to be commited to recovery but am very worried about being able support myself financially while in diversion. Is there a possibility of ever finding work. And if there is what type of places will hire me? Can you please help.

Having 4 months into the California Diversion Program, I suggest applying for state disability NOW. It is tax free and by trimming your expenses a little, it's very workable. In California you can maintain disability for a year for chemical dependency. Read my previous posts regarding what to expect. Try to keep a positive attitude and don't screw up, even one time.

If you have a legal prescription for your xanax there is nothing they can do. Don't even consider changing meds unless you want to.
    If you have to do tox screens just make sure they have a list of all your meds. When your screen comes back positive for benzos it doesen't count as dirty
    cat 16

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by cat 16 View Post
    If you have a legal prescription for your xanax there is nothing they can do. Don't even consider changing meds unless you want to.
    If you have to do tox screens just make sure they have a list of all your meds. When your screen comes back positive for benzos it doesen't count as dirty
    cat 16
    Your wrong about that because the nurse practice in almost all states specifically states you may not use any substance prescripbed or not thatmay impair your ability to practice safely so that if you appear impaired on the job and are tested you can be suspended regardless of having a prescription the board would argue that if your anxiety or other disorder is that debilitating then you should not be practicing. I do tend to agree because when I was forced to give up benzo's and get serious about my anxiety and it's treatment ie not bandaiding it with benzo's I actually got better. The overwhelming anxiety disorder that I suffered for almost 20 years went away with therapy - I don't even take antidepressants anymore.

You can be free too.

Peace and Namaste

Hppy

I've never heard of a BON allowing anyone to take Rx benzos, narcs, anything that can impair judgement and performance, legal script or not. Here in MA, in order to be in the BON program, you have to be off ALL of these substances. I've seen nurses taper off benzo's and narcs to be in the program, and have done really well with counseling and other therapy modalities.
    :rolleyes:

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by dlf2007 View Post
    I've never heard of a BON allowing anyone to take Rx benzos, narcs, anything that can impair judgement and performance, legal script or not. Here in MA, in order to be in the BON program, you have to be off ALL of these substances. I've seen nurses taper off benzo's and narcs to be in the program, and have done really well with counseling and other therapy modalities.
    So true - even though I had a prescription for Ambien when I went into diversion and my addictionologist prescribed it the BON said NO. WE weren't even allowed to take benedryl - it took me a bout three months to start sleeping normally. My adivce io anyone in diversion/probation who really wants to save their license is just do what they tell and don't fight it no matter how unreasonable they sound.

Peace and Nanaste

Hppy

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12