Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Diversion vs. Probation?

Diversion vs. Probation?

I have been in the RN diversion program for 18months. I am finding it very difficult to find employment as when I mention I'm in the diversion program, all of a sudden I no longer qualify for the position. Does anyone know of any "diversion friendly" hospitals in the Riverside/San bernardino CA county areas? Also, I am getting very discouraged re: my inability to find employment and was wondering if dropping out of the diversion program and going on probation would be a better option. Can anyone tell me of the pros and cons of doing this? Anyone out there who's been on probation and can tell me what to expect? All my financial resources are now tapped out and my family is in imminent danger of losing our house, ect. Thanks to anyone out there who can help me.

Re: Diversion vs. Probation?

Leilani, I am having the same problem here in Texas. I have been in a program called Texas Peer Asst. Progam for nurses and I have been in the program since June 2003 and I am now living in a transitional living center and I have not been working since. I am actively seking employment now to no avail. But, the only think that keeps me going in prayer. I am trying to meet other nurses here who may have had the some problem as me. I live in the Houston area near the medical center. How long do you have to be in the diversion program? I have about another year in my progam but I have to find a job by June or start the entire program over again. I can not see doing that so, I am continuing to trust God that something will come though for me, I just keep remembering that this is tthe consequences of my actions and I know that I cannot do it again, because I had a bad opiate addiction and I lot my apartment and my car and damn near lost my family. My daughter stays with family until I can get my life back in order. I need help also If anyoone out there is from the Houston area. You are not alone. Christchild

Hi Na'Dia, my Diversion program is 2-5 years. I am mandated to go to six 12 Step meetings a week, one of which has to be a CODA meeting, one a Women's meeting, and one a 12 step study group. Prayer is keeping me sane right now. If I don't get work SOON I will also lose my rental home and my car too as I do not have any income whatsoever. This experience has been very humbling and I am grateful to be clean today, but I don't think my punishment should extend to living on the streets and losing everything before Diversion will allow me direct patient care. So I am not only humbled and grateful, but very frustrated not too. I know God will take care of me and my family, but He's really cutting it to the chase on this one! I'll just keep applying for jobs and praying. Meanwhile, I would appreciate any advice I could get from anyone else who has been in this same position. Thanks! Leilani

Hi Iam new to this forum, have a question if any one can
    answer me. I have been of xanax for yrs now and have a
    prescription. I started having back problems and my doctor
    prescribe me soma to take when needed and lortab. I
    have been a RN for 14 yrs and have never had any
    problams at with work or taking xanax at work. 2 wks ago
    I was working the night shift and my back was having
    some spasms and I was having little anxiety, so I took
    my xanax 0.5mg and soma together, I made me imparied and
    sluggish and my supervisor noted and they made me take
    a drug screen and only showed xanax which I proved to have a prescription, well they suspended me and reported to state board. I got a letter from state boards yesterday and
    called them. They asked if I had a Drug or alchol problem
    and I stated no. and I also had to get a Pyscological eval
    from recommended per my hosptial and I done that. He stated, He wanted me to ask my doctor to switch me to lexopro for anxiety, other recommendations. State board told me that they could not stop me from working since I
    am not enrolling into the rnp program but it will be futher
    investigated, because they have not yet recieved recommendation yet from they psycologist. the hospital
    called me today wanting to meet with me, and want proof from my doctor that I was switch to lexopro instead of xanax. can they do that or should I go try to get a job
    at another facility. I need to go back to work and I
    dont know what to expect.

Did U fill out a health questionaire about what meds you are on? If so then your employer hired U knowing about this. What is an rnp program? You have nothing to loose by meeting with the hospital. Find out what they have to say before you make a decision. I personally would not feel comfortable working at a place if they reported me to the nursing board. Might want to give them a proper notice and start out fresh somewhere. Sorry about all of your difficulities.

Long Term Care Facilities might be more willing to work with you. Probation is a B _ _ _ _ from what I heard. I think Diversion is a lower level. Good luck.

HI NaDia, I am living in Houston also. I am in recovery and on a Board Order. It is overwhelming, but doable. I moved to Houston last year, and have found a support group for healthcare professionals. This is my first time to post to this forum.I will try to visit it a few times a week.I need all the support I can get. I am not employed as a nurse currently, but will be job hunting soon. Good Luck.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

The issue here is not that you took a medication for which you had a prescription but rather that you took it while working. The nurse practice act in my state clearly says that you shall not take any medication that may affect your ability to function as a nurse. It does not say it's ok if you have a prescription. Your duty as a nurse was to go to your supervisor the minute you felt impaired and sleepy and explain that you had taken a prescription medication without realizing how it would effect you and that you needed to go home. Then call for a ride (remember you were impaired" and go home. When they did the UDS did you tell them about the Soma or just omit that. It's an important distincton if you lied by omission of facts. So from the perspective of the Board you are probably not going to win this one.

I feel for you because I to have suffered from anxiety and chronic pain. I took benzo's for a long time. I also used narcotic pain killers and muscle relaxants to deal with my pain. When I went into rehab I decided that I needed to face the fact that I was addicted to these medications and I stopped taking them all pretty much Cold Turkey. I saw a psychiatrist who put me on Wellbutrin and trazadone. I started seeing a therapist weekly. Went to meetings every day and got a sponsor. After the first month most of my anxiety was gone and the pain in my back and legs became bearable. I have had some acupuncture which has helped as well.

As to getting a job at another facility: If you have already been turned in to the board your license is probably suspended pending the investigation. So if you refuse treatment the investigation can take 6 months to a year so don't count on going back to work any time soon. As to switching to the Lexopro, why not try it. No they can't make you take it but they can make it a condition of employment that you not take the Xanax. The hallmark of addiction is "Self will run riot" an the inability to accept things we can't control.

I was suspended from pactice for nine months. Then could only go back to work with restrictons (No Night shifts, no OT, no direct patient care, NO narc keys.) Bear in mind that I used my drugs off-duty and never diverted from the hospital. I also had prescriptions for everything I took. But I OD'd and ended up in the ER at the hospital where I worked.
    I was able to collect disability for a dual diagnosis of depression/chemical dependancy. I have just recently gone back to work and didn't really have much trouble getting a job. I was open and honest about my addiction and recovery. I am not ashamed of being an addict but I am ashamed of the things I've done in my disease. I will probably be in diversion for two more years. But that's just something I have to accept. I know this is not what you wanted to hear and I don't even know if you are still watching this post. But this information might help other nurses in the same predicament.

Peace and God Bless
    From a happy grateful recovering alcoholic/addict.

I've been in the diversion program since november 2000 and now have a minimum of 3 years left. I went in for a 3 month addiction to opiates. never had a problem before that. I was doing well up until a few weeks ago when the disease took over and I had a few drinks, 3 nights in a row, till i thought, what am i doing, this isn't worth it, and stopped. I did test during that time, 2 days in a row. Now I'm looking at 3 more years min. and they want me to go to inpatient AGAIn, for 30 days. I have a wonderful job right now that I have had absolutely no problems with whatsoever. I've been working there almost 4 years now, and am charge nurse on a med surg floor. I don't know what they are planning to do about my job, but I can't go inpatient for several reasons. 1st, as it was the first time, i don't belong there. I had 3 nights of drinks, not even to the point of drunkenness. Thats it in 4 years. Now i belong inpatient? I have a 7 month old baby. I was going through a divorce and just in the last 2 months cancelled it and am getting things on track with my husband. Also, My insurance does not cover it and since I spent thousands on the divorce, I haven't even got credit cards or people to lend from. So I am considering enforcement. this diversion is going on a total of 8 years minimum, if i had done enforcement from the beginning, I would be done by now. the program is so expensive. I know one person in enforcement and things seem to be so easy for her. I hope someone out there has been in california's enforcement for diverting and can give me some advice.
    Thanks

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Hi Styles,

I am about 1 year into the California Diversion program. So far all is well and I have been able to maintain my sobriety. I took a lot of everything but never diverted from the hospital. Plus I've had no problems with the DEC. I attribute this entirely to God's grace, my sponsor and my friends in AA.
    There are several people in my Nurse support group who are in enforcement and the big difference is that with diversion once you are complete there's no record on you license. With enforcement there is a DEA investigation and you get a permanent note on your license. Also when you apply for a job you have to give all the details of what you did. Plus if you fail to follow the board's recomendations they will turn you over as non-compliant to the board and your license may be revoked. What do you attribute the slip too. Was it the added stress of a new baby? Are you going to meetings? Perhaps it's time to do the fourth step or do another. Did you ask if you could do a out-patient program? If cost is a factor maybe you could qualify for a county bed. Read step 11 in the 12 and 12. talk to your sponsor and pray on it. The answer will come. If cost is a factor you might be able to get a county bed. A couple of my friends did that.

Peace and God Bless

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast