Thread: Battle of the Shifts

Battle of the Shifts

I've been working in the acute facility for years and this nonstop "battle of the Shifts" is driving me nuts. Everyone thinks that their shift is busier and harder. I mean what's the point? Nursing is a 24 hour job and I believe that every shift is busy in different ways. I work Days in an 8 hour shift. I am just tired listening to these nurses that their shift is busier and harder and so therefor they're expecting us to finish everything for them. Days, Evenings and Nights - some nurses just don't get it. I'm sorry, but saying "our shift is busier and harder than yours" sounds like a self pity to me. :mad:

Do you ever experience this kind of situation in your facility too?

RNview

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Battle of the Shifts

I have heard that quite a few times. Also, that the other 2 shifts are sooooo inconsiderate, lazy, don't do anything.....get the picture? I have worked all 3 shifts and know all the ins and outs, thus am able to tell people the things that could happen.

'Cat'

This is a culture that's hard to change. I'm wondering if there's any solution on this issue. The only solution I know is to...... TAKE A DEEP BREATH!
    RNview

I have worked all shifts as a tech... only nights as a nurse. But hospital wide no matter what the position, this battle always ensues. And i agree, all shifts are busy, just in different ways. I enjoy nights because of the smaller amount of staff to work around... however, when it gets busy or emergencies arise (as they always do in nursing) we wish for those staff to offer an extra hand. Those who work other shifts have a reason for their choice as well, im sure. There are positives and negatives for all shifts, slow and busy nights/days, but its all nursing, and its all important and imperative! Without one shift or the other, patient care would not be possible!
    J. Smith, L.P.N