Thread: unwanted dialysis RN

unwanted dialysis RN

Wow! I was browsing positions in travel dialysis nursing and put my reume out there, and it clearly stated that I have been in an educational dialysis position for the past 18 months. It also stated that I had 17+ years of RN experience and 7+ years of hands on dialysis experience. Well, my phone was ringing off the hook! I was really excited until....I spoke with Mobile Medical Staffing and was basically told that I would NOT be able to find a job because I have been working dialysis in an educational capacity and needed to work per diem for a while so that I would be EMPLOYABLE.
    Please, recruiters...READ the info on the resume BEFORE you clog up the answering machine and get peoples' hopes up.

Theresa

Re: unwanted dialysis RN

Are you interested in Permanent positions? If so, where are you located and what areas would you be interested in? I work with dialysis providers all over the country. I have many different opportunities in dialysis including educational positions. Let me know if I can help.

D.J. Winters
    Dialysis Compensation Agent
    800.774.9251 x134
    800.774.9252 - fax
    Dialysis & Therapy Jobs :: Travel & Permanent opportunities :: Foundation Medical Staffing
    dustin.winters@foundationmedicalstaffing.com

justatraveler

Quote Originally Posted by theresa_b View Post
    Wow! I was browsing positions in travel dialysis nursing and put my reume out there, and it clearly stated that I have been in an educational dialysis position for the past 18 months. It also stated that I had 17+ years of RN experience and 7+ years of hands on dialysis experience. Well, my phone was ringing off the hook! I was really excited until....I spoke with Mobile Medical Staffing and was basically told that I would NOT be able to find a job because I have been working dialysis in an educational capacity and needed to work per diem for a while so that I would be EMPLOYABLE.
    Please, recruiters...READ the info on the resume BEFORE you clog up the answering machine and get peoples' hopes up.

Theresa
    Please remember that these recruiters for the most part have NO medical experience. Heck I had one tell me Dialysis wasn't a speciality.

As an example the poster before me didn't read your post. Typical. He wants to fill the positons he has to make $$$$ for himself. He's not interested in what you want.

Good luck there are several great companies out there that staff dialysis with good HD nurses. If you are interested in who I'd recommend you can PM me here. We could chat about it. I've been in HD since 1987 and traveling now for 5.5 years. Probably headed to Alaska in late NOV at $38 with all the bennies including a rental car...............

Theresa,
    In all fairness, you would be surprised at how many nurses do not put per diem jobs on their resume. Also, the travel employment requirements are set by dialysis companies, not the travel companies. I know this is frustrating for you. If you are really wanting to travel, I would take a per diem position for a couple of months. Good luck.

justatraveler

Quote Originally Posted by jasonfms View Post
    Theresa,
    In all fairness, you would be surprised at how many nurses do not put per diem jobs on their resume. Also, the travel employment requirements are set by dialysis companies, not the travel companies. I know this is frustrating for you. If you are really wanting to travel, I would take a per diem position for a couple of months. Good luck.

She's teaching other's how to do Hemodialysis. Wouldn't that make her qualified to do it herself?

Quote Originally Posted by justatraveler View Post
    She's teaching other's how to do Hemodialysis. Wouldn't that make her qualified to do it herself?
    That really depends on the dialysis clinic itself. If you ask me, I would say yes. It isn't up to the recruiter though. I don't know if the clinics want to make sure the nurses get reacclimated with the pace of a clinic or what, but some of them will look only at nurses that have been performing dialysis in-center and on the floor.

I finally accepted my first travelling position! After that I don't expect the education thing to be a problem anymore. However, I do understand that it's not the agency as much as the facilities that want current "hands on" experience, but I had several agencies contact me and when I returned their phone calls, was told by THEM that they do not accept any nurse without current clinical experience. My gripe is, why did you clog up my answering machine? READ the resume to find out if I qualify for your agency before calling 10 times.

justatraveler

Quote Originally Posted by jasonfms View Post
    That really depends on the dialysis clinic itself. If you ask me, I would say yes. It isn't up to the recruiter though. I don't know if the clinics want to make sure the nurses get reacclimated with the pace of a clinic or what, but some of them will look only at nurses that have been performing dialysis in-center and on the floor.
    Many dialsysis educators have a full assignment PLUS the new tech or nurse.

BTW she wasn't/isn't looking for a perm position. That was her original gripe. People i.e. recruiter not reading and listening. It happens alot in the general public too.

BTW most of the time I go to these clinics I have more experience than the permenent help.. LOL Of course that also depends on whether the clinic even has perm help or a clinical manager for that matter. In Mesa AZ there is a "clinical manager" who is was a TECH......

Quote Originally Posted by theresa_b View Post
    I finally accepted my first travelling position! After that I don't expect the education thing to be a problem anymore. However, I do understand that it's not the agency as much as the facilities that want current "hands on" experience, but I had several agencies contact me and when I returned their phone calls, was told by THEM that they do not accept any nurse without current clinical experience. My gripe is, why did you clog up my answering machine? READ the resume to find out if I qualify for your agency before calling 10 times.
    Congratulations Theresa! I hope this ends up being a great experience for you.

Quote Originally Posted by justatraveler View Post
    Many dialsysis educators have a full assignment PLUS the new tech or nurse.

BTW she wasn't/isn't looking for a perm position. That was her original gripe. People i.e. recruiter not reading and listening. It happens alot in the general public too.

BTW most of the time I go to these clinics I have more experience than the permenent help.. LOL Of course that also depends on whether the clinic even has perm help or a clinical manager for that matter. In Mesa AZ there is a "clinical manager" who is was a TECH......
    Many of the clinics that we work with use travelers to train inexperienced dialysis nurses. I'm sure you have been in that situation. It makes sense financially (we all know travelers make more than permanent nurses).

The huge nursing shortage is taking its toll on the entire dialysis community. I think you will see more and more Non-RN Managers throughout the country. There are many nurses like yourself who like the travel aspect of nursing, or who have no interest in the headaches of management. They have to have someone overseeing the clinic's daily operation, so that will be the option that is left.