Thread: God Bless You All

God Bless You All

It was 6 years ago today that caused many of you to have to endure what you are going through now. September 11, 2001 changed the world. I can still remember it vividly. I was being harassed by my troops because my girlfriend thought it would be "cute" to send me flowers at work. That all seemed so trivial after what followed.

I spent 15 years in the Marine Corps. I have been around the globe twice, and have been shot at in 3 different countries. I wish I were still doing it. I spent 9 months literally living in a hole in the sand during the Gulf War. We were the one of the first Marine units there having taken a boat from Okinawa, and were one of the last to leave. While we were there we heard very little from home, and what we did hear was often weeks old news reports or letters that had finally caught up to us. I spent 9 months literally living in a hole in the sand during the Gulf War. I went 123 days one time without a shower (the one I got on day 124 was out of a water truck spigot). When the ground war started I walked through 3 mine fields to get to the artillery unit that was shelling us the whole time we waded through the mines. I was awake for 76 hours straight and when it was over I slept for 42. The night before, our CO held a formation in one of the Amtrack bunkers and said "Look to your left. Now look to your right. One of those 2 men will not be here tomorrow". We lost one Marine in our unit. They called that lucky.

I say that because I want you to believe it when I say I know what you guys are going through (especially those deployed) and that I am extremely thankful that you do it.

For those of you who have access to this message board, both stateside and overseas, please know, and pass on to all of your troops that you are loved and missed. Those of us here who sleep peacefully at night under the blanket of security that you provide us APPRECIATE what you do.

You are not forgotten, you are missed. God bless each and every one of you and may He keep you safe.

Late reply...

Quote Originally Posted by USMC2LPN View Post
    It was 6 years ago today that caused many of you to have to endure what you are going through now. September 11, 2001 changed the world. I can still remember it vividly. I was being harassed by my troops because my girlfriend thought it would be "cute" to send me flowers at work. That all seemed so trivial after what followed.

I spent 15 years in the Marine Corps. I have been around the globe twice, and have been shot at in 3 different countries. I wish I were still doing it. I spent 9 months literally living in a hole in the sand during the Gulf War. We were the one of the first Marine units there having taken a boat from Okinawa, and were one of the last to leave. While we were there we heard very little from home, and what we did hear was often weeks old news reports or letters that had finally caught up to us. I spent 9 months literally living in a hole in the sand during the Gulf War. I went 123 days one time without a shower (the one I got on day 124 was out of a water truck spigot). When the ground war started I walked through 3 mine fields to get to the artillery unit that was shelling us the whole time we waded through the mines. I was awake for 76 hours straight and when it was over I slept for 42. The night before, our CO held a formation in one of the Amtrack bunkers and said "Look to your left. Now look to your right. One of those 2 men will not be here tomorrow". We lost one Marine in our unit. They called that lucky.

I say that because I want you to believe it when I say I know what you guys are going through (especially those deployed) and that I am extremely thankful that you do it.

For those of you who have access to this message board, both stateside and overseas, please know, and pass on to all of your troops that you are loved and missed. Those of us here who sleep peacefully at night under the blanket of security that you provide us APPRECIATE what you do.

You are not forgotten, you are missed. God bless each and every one of you and may He keep you safe.
    Semper Fi USMC2LPN! I realize my reply is rather dated but better late than never. I wanted to thank you for your military service, Marine. I'm kind of a mix breed; Marine [AD enlisted 1980-1988] & Soldier since 2003. The twin towers tragedy along with my son going to Army BCT in 2000 gave me the itch to once again wear the military uniform. I was too old to come back into the Marine Corps but not too old for the Army Nurse Corps. I found your Marine experience to be very motivating.

The length of my present deployment [15 months] was starting to get me down. However, I've just returned from 18 days R&R and feel recharged. We have 5.5 months left until we redeploy back home.

BTW, when you going to change your username to USMC2BSN?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN