Thread: Welcome to the Flight Nurses Forum!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the Flight Nurses Forum!

Welcome to the Flight Nurses Forum, everyone! Here is some basic information for those interested in the subject:
    Air & Surface Transport Nurses Association This is like the ENA or AACN for flight nursing.

FlightWeb - For Air Medical Professionals

Remember, each company has a different set of requirements/qualifications. For a "general" helicopter transport company, most look for 3-5 years of critical care ED and/or ICU) experience. Also, must have ACLS, PALS (or equivalent), basic trauma course (BTLS, TNCC, PHTLS, ETC), sometimes NRP (depending on the patient population served). Some states require nurses to either have a paramedic cert or a specific pre-hospital nursing certification, but I don't think it is all that many. If truly interested, check with your state's BON for scope of practice, state EMS office for additional requirements and one of the flight companies (many have their own websites) for their qualifications. As far as experience, a good mix of high-acuity ED and varied ICU/CCU experience is ideal. Not necessarily easy to obtain. Most flight companies will provide additional training (flight safety, flight physiology, additional trauma classes, advance skills-as permitted by the state, etc).

Hope this is useful.

'Cat'

Re: Welcome to the Flight Nurses Forum!

I'm a flight nurse with 19 years of experience, would love to pass on tips about the industry.

Hi everyone,
    I just found this web site while I was searching about flight nurses. I have 22 years experience as a nurse, adult ER, pediatric ER, and pediatric ICU. I finally took the jump and became a flight nurse last year. I'm lovin' it! It's as great as I always thought it would be, actually better! I'm also looking forward to talking with all of you. It's really exciting to find a web sight where you can talk to other flight nurses, share stories and experiences. I'll chat more later.

Fly safe!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Welcome to the site, Flite_RN! We've had a few flight nurses join lately.

"Cat"

Quote Originally Posted by Flite_RN View Post
    Hi everyone,
    I just found this web site while I was searching about flight nurses. I have 22 years experience as a nurse, adult ER, pediatric ER, and pediatric ICU. I finally took the jump and became a flight nurse last year. I'm lovin' it! It's as great as I always thought it would be, actually better! I'm also looking forward to talking with all of you. It's really exciting to find a web sight where you can talk to other flight nurses, share stories and experiences. I'll chat more later.

Fly safe!
    I look forward to reading your post[s] R/T your flight nursing experiences.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN