Thread: hi from cali

hi from cali

Hi,
    Thought i'd drop in and introduce myself. My name is Betty and I live near Palm Springs. I'm a 3rd semester nursing student in an AA program @ College of the Desert. I'm married to a man who makes my lunch and attempts to iron my uniforms while I study and write drug cards, etc. , he really is the BEST!....we don't have any children, unless you count our 4 legged friends, in that case we have 2.

Today my clinical instructor said something to me and I don't quite know how to digest it. First let me just say that she is always fair, never harsh and has a great sense of humor.

Today is essentially the end of our week, and at the end of our rotation she says to me..."now your going to go home and rest, right?". And of course I say "yes", because I could use a nap. And she goes on to say that her observations of me are this.....you are a high achiever, I can tell by the questions you ask. You need to take some time to take care of yourself or your going to burn out. Sometimes our drive for success and knowlege, and time we spend on others, we forget about ourselves and that can work against us. You are great with your patients and your classmates really like you, but take time this weekend to rest yourself.

Now I am by no means a straight A student. I was just voted VP of the SNA at my school, I am eager to learn, I make myself available for learning opportunities, and I have passion. I'm sort of an adrenaline junkie, too. I've worked in the ER for 5 years as a tech before I started school. I guess I can be hard on myself and I expect alot of myself, but who doesn't. I guess what really concerns me is that my closest friend in class just told me last week that I was "high anxiety".

Oh....great....now I sound paraniod LOL....oh well, this is a day in the life of a student Thanks for listening

Cool Re: hi from cali

I also worked in an ER while going to school, and I have been told that I am a perfectionist. I think maybe its OCD- lol. I think sometimes that we get caught up in classes, tests, and working and trying to make up to our families for the time that we are gone and we forget our own "ME" time. My friend and I have made it a must that once a month we go out to eat or to a movie. I call it our "INTERVENTION" and as lame as it may sound, it is nice to have a little "ME" time!!!

Re: hi from cali

Ya know, I like the sound of the "intervention".....it's not lame at all.

Ya know, my observations are that most students (in my class) don't jump at the chance to be involved in the codes or rapid responses called on the floors. but as you know, that is our job when we are at work, so it's like I don't even think twice about helping out even it's not my patient. i don't over step my boundries, but at least i get up and get involved.
    I guess i sort of feel offended sometimes when others say that i am always running around. But ya know, there is always something to do, besides just what is expected, why not go the extra step and be proactive in whatever it is you want to learn.
    to be honest, I don't really know what to do with myself when my patients are "resting comfortabley".

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: hi from cali

Welcome to the site, Betty! Glad to have you with us!

Your 'other half' sounds great....makes lunches and tries to iron?! I doubt most men would even try. :rolleyes:

About your instructor....she sounds like a great lady. Sounds like she's making sure you become a good nurse. Mind you, you worked as an ER tech....and ER can be an adrenaline rush in itself. If you don't care for you, who will?? Keep that in mind, and keep us posted on your schooling.

'Cat'