Thread: RN 1st assistant

RN 1st assistant

Ok…I’ve been an RN in the ER nurse almost 2 years. I teched their in nursing school, did my practicum, critical care rotation, and externship in one as well. All in different levels of trauma centers, so 4 years of experence of some kind. I still love it most days, but I’m looking for a change. (There is a little ER burn out setting in to, I love those I work with, and the sicker the pt the more I love doing my job, but I’m just ready for something new, a different skill set) Especially now that my wedding day is fast approaching with (Good lord willing) children soon to follow. The only other things that have ever interested me in nursing are L&D (really only about the last 2 hrs of the process) and Surgical stuff.
    I 1st heard about being an RN 1st assistant in nursing school, it was the first and really only thing I ever seriously considered other than the ER or Flight. But most people have no clue what I am talking about when I mention RNFA. Do any of you out there have any info on how you practice in this specialty? I know I’d need to get a minimum of regular OR experience before going back to school. But I don’t know how to find out if anywhere in my area (Lexington/Columbia, SC) uses RNFA. Any advice welcomed. Thanks.
    Jennifer

Re: RN 1st assistant

CCI :: About CRNFA Certification

There you will find info about becoming a CRNFA, and the CNOR required before you can even do that.

It includes a list of all acceptable programs for both as well.

It's something I'd eventually like to shoot for myself.

Good luck!