Thread: Army Offers Psych Nursing Scholarship

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Army Offers Psych Nursing Scholarship

Thought I should add this, for anyone interested.

The U.S. Army has expanded the educational programs covered under its F. Edward Hebert Armed Forces Health Professions Scholarship Program (HPSP) to include funding for civilians seeking a Master’s degree to become a Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner.
    The Army’s 2-year scholarship program covers the full cost of tuition to an accredited nursing school of the participant’s choice, school related fees and books, and a stipend of more than $1,600 per month. The program is available to civilian nurses.
    Within the U.S. Army, psychiatric nurse practitioners serve a vital role, providing comprehensive mental healthcare for soldiers, their families and military retirees, including medication management, psychotherapy, and crisis intervention.
    In addition, they coordinate outpatient psychiatric services with other services within the Behavioral Health Care Service line; and also serve as an expert educator, advisor and consultant on mental health issues to department chiefs and staff.
    To qualify for the HPSP Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner scholarship, applicants must meet appointment criteria:
    · U.S. citizen or permanent resident
    · 21 to 46 years of age (age waiver may be requested)
    · 1-2 years licensed RN work experience
    · A BSN or MSN from a nursing school accredited by NLN or CCNE.
    · Meet nursing school of choice admission criteria.
    · Complete Master’s program for Psychiatric Nurse Practitioner degree with prescriptive privileges
    · A current, valid, unrestricted license to practice as an RN
    · Meet the Army’s physical and moral standards
    · Attend the 11-week Army Medical Department (AMEDD) Officer Basic Course (OBC)
    · Serve on active duty for a minimum of 3 years
    For those planning or currently pursuing a career in nursing, the Army’s scholarship program provides benefits while in school and after graduation.
    In addition to paying the full cost of tuition, the program pays for required books, non-expendable equipment and most other academic fees. HPSP students receive a monthly stipend of $1,605 for 10.5 months of each school year, which is adjusted each year to allow for cost of living increases. The remaining 6 weeks of the year are dedicated to hands-on training during which program participants receive officer’s pay as a First Lieutenant.
    Graduates of the HPSP program also receive all of the benefits of active duty officers including:
    • Rank and privileges of an Army Officer
    • No-cost, on-post housing or tax-free housing and subsistence allowance
    • No-cost or low-cost medical and dental care for you and your family
    • Low-cost life insurance
    • Attractive retirement benefits with 20 years of qualifying service
    • A flexible, portable retirement saving and investment plan similar to a 401k
    • Paid continuing education courses, seminars and conferences
    • Opportunities to travel throughout the U.S. and around the world
    • Earn 30 days of vacation with pay each year
    To apply or request more information about this scholarship program, contact Carolyn.Gales@USAREC.army.mil.
    To learn more about the Army Nurse Corps, visit http://www.goarmy.com/amedd/nurse/index.jsp.

Re: Army Offers Psych Nursing Scholarship

Hello,

I saw this post and was wondering if you have any more knowledge on this. Your post was excellent and this is my career goal. I am currently talking with a recruiter but was wondering if you know anyone (personally) that went into this direction. Any help you could give me would be so greatly appreciated. Thank you.

Ann