Thread: Arizona is a Compact license state!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Arizona is a Compact license state!

Here is a list of other states on the list:

https://www.ncsbn.org/158.htm

'Cat'

Re: Arizona is a Compact license state!

Please help me understand this...I relocated from NC with the VA (who does not require state-to-state licensing), but wondered what the 'compact' does...I had to register my vehicle/get drivers license here in AZ so am I now an AZ resident and will need to file for AZ licensure?? This is so confusing...And the cost of insuring my vehicle tripled!! I still have 2 condos in Asheville NC but they are not selling with the housing market so depressed. Will I renew RN licensure in AZ? And will I need further paperwork to utilize the compact if I work outside of the VA facility?

Member Extraordinaire

The Nursing Compact allows you to work on your compact license in another state. For example, I am a legal resident of WI, and that is where my original license is from. Because I am still a legal resident of WI while I travel, I can work in other compact states on my WI license. Like right now, I am on assignment in TX, working on my WI compact license. If I were to become a legal resident of TX, I would need to get a TX license- once I am no longer a legal resident of my home state (WI), my WI license would still be good, but would become "single state" instead of compact.

So, since you have now become a resident of AZ (registered a vehicle, gotten a driver's license, obtained insurance), you cannot be a legal resident of NC as well (even though you own property there), so your NC license is no longer compact, but single-state (only good in NC), so now you cannot legally practice in AZ until you get an AZ license. Keep this in mind if you are already working, because legally, if you have already become an AZ resident, and your NC license has become single-state, then you are practicing without a license until you get you AZ license! Some states have a grace period, like 3-6 months, so I would make sure Arizona has something like that to protect you while you wait for your AZ license!
    Amanda, RN, BSN
    Ex-Traveler Extraordinaire,
    Resident Trauma Queen

Thanks...since I am VA employeed (Federal) and the license transfers, it is not a problem - thank goodness, but will get to work on getting the AZ license as you suggest so that I am eligible to work outside of the VA facility! I see the Compact now is more to address the needs of travelers and not necessarily for the person who relocates! THANK YOU!!!