Thread: non-nursing BS to MSN/CNP programs??

non-nursing BS to MSN/CNP programs??

I am currently a junior microbiology majoring deciding between medicine and nursing, but leaning more towards nursing because of my very maternal side.

I know Ohio State has a program where, in 3 years, you become an RN, get your Masters of Science in Nursing, and are eligible to become a Nurse Practitioner in your chosen area of specialization.

I really like this program because it allows me to become a CNP in 3 years. I know a ton of programs that are accelerated BSN programs, but I already have a bachelors, I don't want to do another in 1-1.5 years and then do a 3 year traditional masters program where I can become an RN and CNP in 3 years.

Does anyone know of any other such programs where you can become a CNP and get your MSN in 3 years with a non-nursing bachelors degree?

Thank you!!!

Re: non-nursing BS to MSN/CNP programs??

Hi, I'm in a similar crisis.
    University of Virginia has a program like Ohio State's. The website is University of Virginia School of Nursing
    Have you found any other schools that have this? If you have, I'd definitely be interested.
    Also, were you planning on completing all the prerequisites during undergrad? It looks like Ohio State requires Anatomy, Physiology, Pharmacology, and Microbiology. (Or have you taken them already?) The problem is, none of those are pre-med requirements, so I have not taken them.
    Thanks!

I think I have decided against it.

1. You don't get a BSN, which to me is a big downfall because
    a. If you don't want to return to the same program or if you want to pursue the CRNA route, you still have to get your BSN which would be a redo
    b. BSN prepared nurses are "preferred" for critical care type jobs, which are required prerequisites for all the NP programs I am interested in.
    2. You don't get it done any faster. Most accelerated BSN programs are 1 year in length and most MSN programs are 1.5-2 years in length. Why not do them separately? It gives you more options in terms of where you attend school for your masters or if you decide not to go right away. It also doesn't save or waste any time to do it separately.

There are tons of accelerated BSN programs (at least in my area) and there are tons of MSN programs. So I'm doing it separately to have more options and it may even take less time!

What about the duel BS/MS programs? That's a good as getting a BSN first, right? Also, it looks like different nursing schools have different prerequisites.. most require anatomy, physiology, and microbiology- so it makes sense to just take all of those.. but some requirements vary, such as nutrition, developmental psychology, etc. How do you choose which ones to take, if you don't know yet where you will be going to nursing school?
    Thank you!

None of the schools I am interested in award a BSN because they assume you are getting an MSN and already have a bachelors degree so no purpose in getting a BSN.

I am a psychology major so I have those bases covered quite well. However, my #1 choice for my accelerated BSN program only begins in the summer (May) and does require courses such as nutrition, ethics, and an extra chemistry course. I was originally going to graduate a quarter early (March) so I could start at all those schools that start in May, but I can't do that and finish all those extra prereqs. The only way to take them all is to graduate after spring quarter (June) but that would defeat the purpose because I couldn't start in the program for a year!!

Therefore, I am only applying to 1 accelerated BSN program. If I don't get in, I will use my psychology degree and work for a year while taking all those extra prereqs and then apply broadly.

I am having a problem with the anatomy/physiology requirement because they require labs with both and I can't do that.

My school has a 6 hour a week human cadaver lab with partial dissections component to the anatomy course and because of that, our separate physiology course does not have a lab component. However, in order to take it at another school, I'd have to take Anatomy & Physiology I and II which is silly because I have already have taken 75% of the curriculum and the schools won't let me take it for a grade anyways because my courses transfer as their Anatomy & Physiology I/II and BSN programs only accept courses for a grade. That screwed me out of a lot of schools - you wouldn't believe the # of schools who said they wouldn't waive the physiology lab requirement for me!!!

I am looking into a similar program at the Univ. of Southern Maine. I have a bachelors in Medical Biology (Pre-PA) and want to attend a masters program. I have looked into both PA and NP and both seem great, but this NP program allows me to stay in my home town and get an education at a lower cost, which these days, is important. I am not sure exactly what to do?! I just know I want to work with children and maybe specifically Pediatric oncology.

If the NP program near your home town has a peds track, sounds like it would be perfect for you. I probably wouldn't consider another program unless it offered a peds option.