Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Recovery friendly employers in central Ohio

Recovery friendly employers in central Ohio

Hello! I am about to state some awkward information and probably ask an awkward question. I am a registered nurse from the Columbus, Ohio area with an AAS. My background ranges from step-down to ICU levels of care including Open Heart Recovery. Approximately a year and a half ago I found my self with an addiction problem and was let go from a well know Columbus hospital system for diversion. Since that time, I have been through rehabilitation and entered into a consent agreement with the Ohio Board of Nursing. As part of this agreement, I have a narcotics suspension that could be reviewed and lifted in a year once I find a position that requires an RN license for one year's time. Seems like a chicken and egg paradox to me. This agreement also provides me with rigorous monitoring and drug testing that I would be more than happy to allow an employer access to if given the chance. I have worked very hard all my life first to obtain my nursing license, secondly to regain sobriety and am now working hard to re-obtain a job in the field I love. I would appreciate the opportunity to work hard again. Does any one have any suggestions for recovery friendly employers? I have contacted the Red Cross and plasma donation centers, dialysis centers, the department of corrections and rehab facilities. The ECF's I have contacted have all but laughed in my face.

Re: Recovery friendly employers in central Ohio

I don't know anything about Ohio, but you are in the right place with your diversion program. Do you go to any nurse support groups? When I was in your position, I got a job in dialysis. No narcotics ever!!!!

I've sent a resume with a cover letter explaining my situation to the dialysis providers in my area. I just haven't heard anything back yet. I haven't been able to locate any nurse support groups. When I was still going to outpatient rehab, my drug counselor tried to turn me on to Caduceus Meetings. They were hard to locate and when I talked to my monitoring agent about them she got really rude and said that it wouldn't take the place of my NA meetings(which I didn't even suggest) and that they are geared toward doctors and would be of very little use to me. Being told that, I never checked into it further. Thanks for your reply. I'll keep looking.

Quote Originally Posted by dapickrn View Post
    Hello! I am about to state some awkward information and probably ask an awkward question. I am a registered nurse from the Columbus, Ohio area with an AAS. My background ranges from step-down to ICU levels of care including Open Heart Recovery. Approximately a year and a half ago I found my self with an addiction problem and was let go from a well know Columbus hospital system for diversion. Since that time, I have been through rehabilitation and entered into a consent agreement with the Ohio Board of Nursing. As part of this agreement, I have a narcotics suspension that could be reviewed and lifted in a year once I find a position that requires an RN license for one year's time. Seems like a chicken and egg paradox to me. This agreement also provides me with rigorous monitoring and drug testing that I would be more than happy to allow an employer access to if given the chance. I have worked very hard all my life first to obtain my nursing license, secondly to regain sobriety and am now working hard to re-obtain a job in the field I love. I would appreciate the opportunity to work hard again. Does any one have any suggestions for recovery friendly employers? I have contacted the Red Cross and plasma donation centers, dialysis centers, the department of corrections and rehab facilities. The ECF's I have contacted have all but laughed in my face.
    nursing homes need rn's..i work with a nurse that just got her license back, she is an lpn, though...everybody knows about about her license suspension,but nobody seems to care, she is quite popular..it is hard to get an rn in long term care..i think many employers might overlook your situation because of the need...

Have you talked to the Board of Nursing about this? Does the Ohio BON have a treatment program that the nurse must go through? If so, have you checked with them as to safe workplaces?

I really have no clue here; but I do know that MN has some sort of healthcare professional treatment program that licensed healthcare professionals must go through here. I was trying to find out what all is involved with that program and haven't been able to find the information; but I went to a CEU class about disciplinary actions and the MN BON and it seems to me that there are places that recovering nurses can and cannot work.

DapickRN.

Would you please read my post titled impaired RN where to now. under the advce to nurses forum....questions for nurses section...please feel free to e-mail me @ ***PM poster for e-mail address*** an Ohio RN having gone through drug rehab I have a MILLION questions for you!!

Other employment options are case management, utiilzation review, phone advice/call centers. I work in a E.D. in California and we are currently hiring RNs just to triage our waiting room; no narc access or patient contact.

Facebook User

Quote Originally Posted by dapickrn View Post
    I don't now how long it has been since you have been looking for a job in recovery. I have over 3 years sobriety, similar story and I have currently been back in the work force for over 1 year. It takes time finding a job but it will happen. It has been a long journey and it requires patience, which I don't have. I finally interviewed at a local hospital with someone I use to work with. They took a chance and I didn't disappoint them. Had to go through Narcotic restrictions, OT restrictions the whole deal. I currently started a Nurse Support Group in Newark Ohio, that has helped too. Your not alone. Feel free to e-mail me or PM me.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Wink Re: Recovery friendly employers in central Ohio

Psych facilities often work with nurses in recovery - they have psych techs that pass the meds so they don't need the RN's to do that.

Psych is tough - I did it for 4 years while in the California DIversion program - It's an experience I wouldn't trade though - learned sooo much there.

It does take time to rebuild your career - If your program has you in a nurse support group ask where those nurses are working they generally know where the recovery friendly employer's are.

Peace and Namaste

Hppygr8ful

... I currently started a Nurse Support Group in Newark Ohio, that has helped too. Your not alone. Feel free to e-mail me or PM me.[/QUOTE]

Hi. I'm able to apply for reinstatement in about 6 weeks. I've been looking for other RNs who have been thru their suspensions and have successfully returned to work. There are no Nurse Support Groups to be found. Nor have I found any nurses in the rooms of AA. I too have decided to start my own group and was wondering if you could help me to do that? I have no idea where to start. Any help or suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast