Thread: Bono concert

Member Extraordinaire

Bono concert

Bono, the lead singer of the band U2, is famous throughout the
    entertainment industry for being more than just a little self-righteous.

At a recent U2 concert in Glasgow, Scotland, he asked the audience for
    total quiet. Then, in the silence, he started to slowly clap his hands,
    once every few seconds. Holding the audience in total silence, he said
    into the microphone, "Every time I clap my hands, a child in Africa
    dies."

A voice with a broad Scottish accent, from the front of the crowd,
    pierces the quiet....

"Well, foockin' stop doin' it then!"

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Bono concert

I won't even go there......

Ricu

So there's at least one Scottish idiot. Whether or not one likes Bono or U2 for that matter is unimportant. His point is painfully relevent. U2 has been very instrumental in promoting awareness of global poverty, has raised millions of dollars for and promoted fair trade business in the third world. Is that making good use of fame and power? Does anyone among this readership know about the Millenium Development Goals or The ONE campaign? If not, check out the link below.

The ONE Campaign | Make Poverty History

R

Hey, I married someone who's got Scots in him.....

There has always been something regarding starving/sick children/people as far as I remember. Big thing when I was in Grade School is 'Walk for Mankind'. #1) How much of the funds generated really goes to the people in need? #2) What else is going on in the affected country that we CANNOT change?

I understand what Cass is trying to say, though.

Ricu

I understand what Cass is saying too- she doesn't like Bono and found the jibe amusing. I'm not terribly crazy about him myself.

We know there will always be self effacing celebrities, corrupt governments and even worse, corrupt charitable organizations. Unfortunately, because of those things, we find it easy to talk ourselves right out of helping with "I don't know where the money is really going." Worse, we say the problem is too big, and the final step to pushing it right off our radar is " but it's always been that way." I firmly believe that doing nothing to try to help others less fortunate while we live with our abundance is the biggest part of the problem. The link I posted speaks about the MDG and what the ONE campaign is doing. These activities aren't hand-out oriented but skill building, teaching and helping people to help themselves. If we did less handing out and more teaching life skills here in the states maybe some of our own poverty, and apathy will disappear. The Episcopal Church, to which I belong, is very committed to the ONE campaign and the Milennium Development Goals.

Sorry to climb on my soapbox a bit but as you can tell, I feel strongly about this.

R

Ricu, I agree with the one person at a time bit. We have poor here (some through no fault of their own), yet we are always inundated with other countries' 'problems'. :confused: I say take care of our own first.

Ricu

No argument here. Let's do something...

Member Extraordinaire

Quote Originally Posted by Ricu View Post
    I understand what Cass is saying R

I really wasn't trying to say anything. Bono doesn't really bother me but not a U2 fan I just thought it was funny it could also be turned into a redneck at a country concert or anything I could just hear that Scot accent....I really don't want the children in Africa to starve.

I think it is funny.
    Not the starvation, the children, the cause,ect.
    Just one human reaction to another human reaction...reading again...yep, it is still funny.
    People who embarrass themselves royally and don't know it ...always humorous.
    Ya might be a redneck Scot if...
    :cool:

Member Extraordinaire

it's the same as Doctor it hurts my arm when I do this.....well then don't do that