Thread: Please Help-I have a nursing question

Please Help-I have a nursing question

Hi, I'm a law student in Wisconsin trying to complete a "case" involving a nurse. My two remaining options are to settle the case to either a misdemeanor theft or to possession of an illegal substance. Which one would do the least damage if my "client" wants to get re-hired as a nurse in the future?
    I'd really appreciate any help or opinions anyone can me! Thanks!

Re: Please Help-I have a nursing question

I would think that misdemeanor theft would be better because you don't have to reveal it on future job applications, at least not in California. But if she's charged with possession of an illegal substance, won't she have to possibly do jail time? Personally I would stay away from anything to do with the possession charge because it's harder to explain and employers tend to not want to hire you if you admit to any history of drug abuse! I don't know anything about Wisconsin laws, but I know I can't find employment because no one around here seems to be Diversion friendly. It's like you have something contagious and they don't want anything to do with you. They won't give you a chance because they automatically assume you are not honest or trustworthy or maybe you'll relapse, so they don't want to even deal with you. Then again, I don't know what type of repercussions she will have to deal with from her Nursing Board if she has the misdemeanor theft on her record. With the narc charge she can probably go to some sort of diversion program and it won't go on her record. You might want to check out some more nursing forums for sites related to Nursing Lawyers. I've seen them online somewhere, but I can't remember where. They would be able to give you more accurate advice. Good luck! Leilani