Thread: Hospice nursing

Hospice nursing

How many of you are hospice nurses, do you like it? It's a field I am interested in.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Hospice nursing

Hi, jean! I have always been a major 'fan' of Hospice; if i didn't work LTC, I'd be working in Hospice care. Then again, quite a few of my residents have utilised Hospice, so I guess you CAN say I 'work with' Hospice. It is an interesting field.

'Cat'

Re: Hospice nursing

Hi Jean,

I am a hospice nurse after retiring as a firefighter/paramedic and then working ICU. Personally I feel that the philosophy of hospice and my idea of nursing meld together very well.
    I absolutely LOVE my work!

Take care,
    Gary

Smile Re: Hospice nursing

I have been a Hospice nurse for over 20 years and I still believe it is the most fulfilling type of nursing around. Even though "rules and regulations" have changed the world of Hospice over the years, it is still a place where autonomy rules and rules are broken in the name of patient care.I have done every facet of Hospice nursing(from patient care to education) and I still love the world of hospice.

Hospice nursing isn't for everyone, however. People usually ask, "Isn't it depressing?" My responsive is that you have to redefine your measure of success. All your patients die so the question is how did you impact the quality of their life UNTIL they died?

Hospice nursing rules!
    jwelhwel

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: Hospice nursing

What always gets me is so many of my classmates wanted OB or Peds. It seems that many 'forget' that we are all going to die eventually, and that is also part of life. Why can't we make the natural 'end' more prominant? :frustrated: