Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: All 11-7 nurses, what do YOU think?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

All 11-7 nurses, what do YOU think?

Read this on Yahoo, and had to share. What do YOU all think?
    Graveyard shift work linked to cancer - Yahoo! News

Re: All 11-7 nurses, what do YOU think?

I don't know, maby it's because we think harder. What do you think?
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

Member Extraordinaire

hehe- I agree, orion! Night shift nurses ROCK!

Ricu

The findings described in this article don't surprise me a bit. I always felt that working nights took years off of my life so once the kids didn't need me home during the day and after nearly twenty years, I went to days. It's been almost five years now and I have no regrets at all. Some people can sleep well during the day but I was never one of them

R

I can see a link between depression and working 11-7, especially if you are NOT a night person. Heck, I can relate: I hate 7-3's/8-4's. I do NOT function well that early. 3-11's my shift. Can work 11-7's if I have to.

Maybe a study should be done on whether the person prefers that shift, or got suckered into it?

Over the long term, the night shift has a devastating effect on a person's health. The article points out some of the things that our bodies feel working the shift but our mind doesn't want to acknowledge. How many times have you finished a night shift and felt like a zombie the next day? How many times have you tried in vain to get an extra hour of sleep while the sun is beating down on your bedroom window?

Unfortunately, healthcare is a 24/7 business, and we'll always need night shift RNs. We need champions in this industry to help facilities and RNs devise strategies to keep RNs healthy on overnight shifts. Even little changes can make a difference - for example, there needs to be other food options for overnight staff than just the crap in the lone vending machine at the end of the hall.

My hospital doesn't have 11-7 shifts. It's all 7a-7p or 7p to 7a. (occasionally if census changes dramatically, they'll float someone to the floor at 11p, so I've heard).

I'm a day nurse. I've always been a day nurse. I could never be a night nurse - Not even if you paid me a zillion dollars. I have the utmost respect for the sacrafice that the night nurse makes to actually work those hours. Thank God we're all "wired" differently because it certainly takes all kinds!

Put it this way, even on my days off I routinely get up at 5 am (bright eyed and bushy tailed!). I can't imagine sleeping during the day and working at night...can't imagine it! Those nurses are very special!

I canNOT function at 7 am. Been there, tried that. I am NOT civil until 9-ish. Thus, the 3-11 shift for me. Oh, yeah, I've done my share of 11-7's. BTW, had to stay over alot because one 7-3 nurse could NEVER get in on time. Another would crawl in about 8:30, AFTER I've already done the vast majority of her med. pass.

I have shades in the room, and have used Benadryl to help sleep. Tends to help some.

'Cat'

Take if from someone who has worked 11-7 for almost three years now.... it does more damage to the body than you would think!

Ricu

In my current position we do self scheduling. Our base shifts are 6-6 with the oncoming shift arriving 30 min. early so it's really 5:30-6:00. This seems to work the best and many different arrangements are made. While they are rare, conflicts do arise and when this does happen, things are quickly resolved as soon as the parties involved consider what other more rigid schedule arrangements could be employed. A few years ago, I worked in a hospital that had several "creative" schedule otions to cover those overnight and schooltime hours. Traditional 8 and 12 hour shift options were offered along with 3-3 and 11-11. There weren't as many of those positions available and working them required that you collaborate with your mirror person on the schedule. Split shifts; either 6 or 4 hours could be worked as well. Flexible scheduling does work and goes a long way to improve morale but there has to be a solid team with which to do it.

R

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast