Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble with Prof.

Re: Having trouble with Prof.

Hey,
    You just have to suck it up. Nursing school won't last forever. Find help with the kids. Call in a relative or ship them off. I'm not trying to be cold as I'm a devoted father too, but you'll be doing it for them. Don't expect any breaks or even to be treated equally because it's just not going to happen. Their job is to weed you out and they can and will get away with it. It does get a little easier after you graduate, but not a whole lot. A technique I used on instructors that were picking on me was to study real hard and come up with questions that were either very difficult or impossible for them to answer. They might decide that picking on you just isn't worth the price. But under no circumstances give them any reason to go after you.
    Best of Luck

Sending my kids away is not an option. But I have found a new friend in Caffine. Mainly white chocolate Mocha. MM MM Good.

I am a male nursing student and plan to graduate this December. I was also in the military and I have never had to put up with the amount of B.S. in the military (and I thought that was bad at the time) as I do in nursing school. I have to say, however, I don't think much or any of it is due to my gender. I have some wonderful professors and some really bad ones.
    During my first semester of clinical rotations, half of our class of about 72 failed. All four male students in my class passed. I'm not so sure all the men are passing this semester and we have had some previous male failures join my class since then, but none of them ever claimed they failed due to gender bias. They simply got low grades.
    I do, however, see that many of the students (male and female) who were suspended from the program, kicked out, or held back were students that questioned the professors too much or somehow brought negative attention to themselves. I see my nursing program as being very political. You play the game or you lose. I don't know if that's a result of female management or just the mixture of personalities that came together to form this strange brew, but this is not my first educational experience and I have never seen anything like this before in other programs. I was warned by previous students to "lay low" and to "not question" instructors. This has worked well for me and other students that seem to have mastered this art. I hate to play the game but I know that it is only until I graduate...or is it? Most of the nurses I have worked with during my clinical rotations, all female, have been truely wonderful. The ones who have not been were not particularly nasty only to males as evidenced by the many female students have similar complaints about those particular nurses.
    I guess what I am saying is that maybe it is not so much the fact that you are male as the fact that you "question" more than they think a student should. It's difficult for me, being 32 years old, to sit back and take all the crap they dish out, especially when they talk to you like you're a child but I just try to find the humor in the situation and laugh it up on the inside.
    We do have some younger instructors who have voiced their frustration about the current administration and staff and many good ones have resigned. I can only hope that things will change for the better once the older generation retires along with their biases and stereotypes. Again, there are many good instructors of all ages but at least in my school, most of the particularly vindictive ones are older.

Member Extraordinaire

I work in the Hosp and am also a clinical instructor in OB and Peds. It really hasn't been a bad experience but for anyone who is a student all I can say is do what's assigned. There is lots of what looks like busy work and some is so simple. Where I do clinicals they do lots of little things for little points and there are those who skip those little things thinking what is 2-6 points. Well it can be a difference in passing or not if you aren't good at the tests for the big things.
    One thing they ask at this school is to do bib posting on a discussion board..each in the clinical group HAS to post bibs and each has to DISCUSS the others articles. The one male post his articles late 2 of 4 times and didn't do discussions on 9 of the others. That's not to say it's all males but this one had already failed his last semester at another school for skipping a clinical day with and excuse of being sick then they saw him at work. The one male in my preceptor group hasn't done the required turn in the hours precepting and worksheets after each day..told me he'd e-mailed them to me, told me he'd send them again on a Monday got them on Wed with oh I forgot, turned in papers 5 days late....but it's just not the males. There are 4 females repeating this semester. There are also 4 who haven't gotten in their on call OB hours (males got theirs) but since I also work L&D I know that those 4 haven't called the unit on days there is no class to check if there are labor pts where they could finish the hours. OB rotation has been over going on 6 weeks now and there is only 3 weeks left to have all work done for graduation.

So making that long story short all I can say is do the work assigned. And yes there are instructors out there that are worse then others same as nurses better or worse then others.

HAHAHAHAHAHA I made it and passed her class. To top it off she screwed up and sent me an email with blatant discrimination. So now the assistant dean is "my advocate" and "She who hates men" (as most students are calling her) is back pedaling. I do thank all of you for the words of encouragement. So two semesters to go. Oh yeah I am getting married on June 2nd and going on a cruise on 5 June.

Life is good!!!!!!!!!!

I had the same trouble through school as well, not to mention that I was at a school that had only been accepting men since 1982. I wanted to go through nursing school there b/c of their rep with nursing (best in the state). I am also a single father as well as military. In light of juggling all that, I chose 4 years of nursing. There were several times throughout that I felt I was pit against. There were the pregnant class members who got anything but a backrub from the prof., but when my daughter had surgery, and I told them I had to leave early from clinicals (a few days in advance) I got the same ill remarks "don't let this happen again, this is your last free day" So I went the next year and a half (believe it or not) without missing a day of lecture or clinicals. All I can say is congrats and hang in there b/c nursing is so rewarding and the field is wide open for advancement. I am preparing to go back for my CRNA in Dec. (that is if I am accepted). I love my job!
    ..................................J

What state are you in Blessed? It is good to hear from others in my same boat. If it is any consolation, I continuously hear from both doctors and nurse supervisors taht they prefer men on the floor. Less Drama. I am not saying that is not the case for all men in nursing. But the consensus is that (at least in my limited contacts) that male nurses are prefered. As one doc put it, "they dont take the job home or let it eat them up as much". Anyone elses feelings on this?

~Adam

I'm in Mississippi. I agree to the last part of your post. I have noticed that SOME, not all female nurses tend to get caught up so much in their work, that they allow it to affect their personal lives as well. I have felt that I am maybe cold hearted to an extent, b/c I don't get too attached to my patients, and I shoot info to patient's families on how I would talk to my own. I have more compliments from this type nursing, and have had many families ask me "if it was your mother or father, what would you do?" So I honestly (without beating around the bush) tell them, of course after weighing in the dx, and possibility of them ever leaving the unit well enough to go home someday in the future. Anyway....J

hi! I am a Korean male nurse. In Korea male nurses are very rare about 1% of all nurses. I also was a military officer and now I am looking for jobs in New York. As you have seen, gender discrimination makes male nurses be hard. Cheer up! Even though we are a small group, we will be consideralbly contribute to special and general medical parts.

Good luck for you!

Well all is good here and thanks to everyones support!!!!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast