Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Having trouble with Prof.

Re: Having trouble with Prof.

I realize that I am late posting into this thread but just joined the forums. I too am a male nursing student, 22 years as an LVN with a total of 33 years working surgery and ICU 2 years combat medic with one tour in Nam. I am taking my ADN and will graduate in May of 2006. I have seen over the years a great number of "Anti-Male" nurses and instructors and was sick to death hearing how men are the johnny come lately to nursing. Here is a simple historical fact for all the males in nursing or taking nursing classes. The women are the johnny come latelies to nursing. The first nurses were MEN in the Knights Templar.

As for how times are changing I see a great deal of support from female nurses now for males joining nursing. The anti-male crowd has thinned dramatically and IMHO they have dried up and withered away from their own hate and insecurity.

I'd like to think times are changing, however they've got a long way to go before they are completely "changed."

Male Call, Nurseweek.com:"Despite cultural bias and relatively small numbers, more men are making contributions to the profession and discovering its rewards. Statements like "Why are you only a nurse?" or "You're too smart to be a nurse" haunt male RNs. Yet most choose nursing school over medical school for the same reason female nurses say they made that career decision to work directly. When Mark Barnett's heating and air-conditioning company was sold and he lost his job, the Texas dad went hunting for a new career."
    http://www.nurseweek.com/news/featur...0/malecall.asp

We've got an ongoing thread on the topic here:
    http://nursinghumor.com/nurse_forum/.../0/Number/3863

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

I am a nursing student and a CNA and I feel like my profs go the extra mile to treat me like dirt because most of them have said they do not like CNAs and I am a guy one thing I find annoying is the fact so many of my prof talk down to me like I am a 2 year old my fellow students are doing it too alot of the time I am treated like a servant to the student when we are working in the hospital I was informed that I would be the last student to be evaluated for the clinical skills and if we ran out of time I would just be assigned a grade . Any ideas on how to diplomaticly deal with these problems my prof and my fellow students that seem to be turned against me the weeekly manbashing sessions that seem to rule our class time this is not what I paid for

Smile Re: Having trouble with Prof.

Nursing requires dedication and attention to details. Sometimes, in a profession that has been dominated by one group of people for a long period of time will require you to demonstrate the ability to be better than your classmates.Why? To earn respect or show that you are not in the profession because you think its easier than medical school. Because your female counterparts have a longer history or affinity to the profession. I commend you on being a single parent and wanting to join the ranks of Nursing. However,understand the sacrifices involved to break into a traditionally female profession, as women who have been pionneers in male dominated professions know the challenges involved in earning the respect of their teachers and peers. It is a baptism by fire, that if you succeed leaves you changed for the rest of your life.Don't give up. I remember a teacher who told me at the beggining of my semester that she would fail me in my Maternal Child rotation, simply because I didn't have a uterus :eek: . I got past her and went on to get my diploma and pursue higher education. I realize now that she was only there to challenge my resolve to be what I wanted to be. Good Luck.

Adam,

As a prof I can tell you that discrimination is discrimination, period. The standard and equal treatment must be applied to all parties involved. If a prof is making exception in polices for one person, it must be granted for all parties. Most profs do there best to avoid even the appearance of special treatment. If you truly believe there is unequal treatment you need to document it and address it with the prof. If there is no resolution, then it needs to be forwarded “up the chain of command”. I do however recognized this is easier to state than accomplish. If you can tolerate this situation it might be best to do so, and the address it after the course it completed and hopefully help another male student that will follow in your foot steps.

Todd

Hi Adam,
    Thanks for your update, though sorry to hear you are having trouble. Please bear the following in mind:
    1) The CCNE (accrediting folks for schools of nursing) require a grievance procedure be in place: it should be found in your student handbook or on line. Use it! You are paying for your education, you have the objective data to support your case
    2) If your institution receives federal money, they are forbidden to discriminate against anyone in a protected class: this includes gender. Trust me, your grievance will be followed up on
    3) The vast majority of your co-workers are NOT like the faculty members you have experienced. Hang in there: graduation is the best revenge
    Best wishes,
    Mongo

Cool Re: Having trouble with Prof.

I have the same problem. I got sick and tired of being abused for trying to help people (I was a high school principal). I had been around medicine before and thought that nursing would be a good way to make a difference in the world. I too am supporting my family (2 kids and a wife). One instructor last semester disliked me from day one...why I do not know. She actually made some nasty comments about me. I thought they were just to my face. Now I find out she put them in writing as another woman is after my hide...I have 80 and 90 % in all of my science and humanities courses. My marks are much lower in the nursing ones. It is irritating because I already have a BA. a B.Sc. and a Masters degree. I am trying to be accomodating Heck I'd lick their boots if I had to (you just gotta do what ya gotta do so you can get out there and do something meaningful). I have even shown female class members how to do the work in our clinical setting (quietly and only at their request). But somehow I'm the loser. I just don't get it.

Smile Happy ending almost 10 years later

I came across this post that I made almost 10 years ago, so I figured I would give a little update to my travels. The professor in question told me I would never succeed as a nurse. Fast forward to today. I am a head nurse with a Masters in Informatics. I have worked throughout the specialties and management. The best part is that same professor recently became a clinical instructor on one of my floors for the University. The look on her face when I walked onto the floor and her boss introduced her to me was priceless. She was in shock and stated, "yes, we know each other." So the lesson to be learned here for nursing instructor’s, there is potential in every student and you never know when your paths will cross. On a side note I got married to a beautiful woman who is incredible as a mother to my children and to me. Plus she is way smarter than I am.

There are happy endings.

Glad to read of your success afrigger01. Good to read that you made an impact on that person. Give her something to think about.

Such an inspiring story!

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123