Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Having trouble with Prof.

Having trouble with Prof.

Hello all,
    I am new here but figured this would get me out into the community. I too am experiencing the issues with women who do not want men in the profession. I have one teacher in particular that seems to just go after me.
    A little background on me. I am 30 years old, been in the military for 12 years. I got injured in Iraq so I am looking at nursing as my new profession. ( I am already in the program) And I am a full time single father.
    So what gets me is that this prof. continuously makes exceptions for the mothers in the class but goes out of her way to slam me. I am not the best student but I challenge anyone to carry my load.
    The other day I had to take my daughter to the emergency room because she was dehydrated fro the flu. Well needless to say I missed class. So the this Prof comes to me and tells me that I have used up my one excused absence and that I cant have another. So I asked her what I should do if my son gets sich and her responce was "Dont let it happen" This same woman is helping out the two pregnant girls in the class and giving them all the assistance they need.
    This smae prof made statements last semeter that the inducton of men into the profession has made salaries go up.
    So my question is: Am I going to see alot of this type of discrimination for disgruntled women in this porfession.
    I should also say that she feels that I am a type A personality and that I am an "overbearing male"

~Adam

Re: Having trouble with Prof.

Hello Adam,

Gender discrimination is a reality both in nursing school and the field depending on where you work. Sometimes it is subtle, sometimes it is blatant. We have discussed it on another thread here:

http://www.nursingdiscussions.com/gender

If this professor gives you a hard time about the missing a class issue, I'd be ready to appeal it and give specific examples of other students that are being treated more leniently.

You might want to bring the issue to the attention of the Dean privately. Tell her this has become an issue and before it escalates further, you want to tell her exactly what the situation is.

Are there other guys in your classes or the school? Would be interesting to see if they've had similar experiences.

Keep in mind also, that nursing instructors can be notoriously harsh on students, even when there is no apparent need or reason for it.

It's part of the "nursing school" experience where they try to weed out as many "unfit" nurses as they can.

Don't take it too personally, but to don't let yourself be abused either.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursingstudents.com

Thanks for the advice and please excuse all the typo's. It is definately nice to see that I am not imagining this attitude.
    ~Adam

I am a female nurse and have witnessed discrimination against male nurses, for what reason I don't know. This professor sounds like one of those lunatic feminists who simply hates men, period. It most certainly is not true that the presence of men is driving up nurses' salaries. Where does she get that, and even if it were true, what is she saying? That nursing is better off remaining an enclave of all female workers so that salaries can be kept low? She sounds like an idiot. Who cares if you are an overbearing, type A? Women have been known to have those personality types, too. If the situation really is out of control, I, too, would go over her head. She may be a professor but she is not entitled to take her personal prejudices out on you or anyone else. I assume you are paying the same tuition, through whatever sources, as are the females in class. You are entitled to the same level of respect and understanding as anyone else.

It is good to hear from you on this. I know she is in the extreme minority and my other prof's seem to really support me being a single parent. I think this woman just hates men. If it continues though I may go to the dean. I do have one thing on my side, my God-mother is in charge of the women's health for the whole state, so she might weild some power if I need it.

Never hurts to have someone on your side!!!!!

I’m in school right now and I have to say I haven't experienced any discrimination at all. I kind of feel one of my instructors went out of her way to make sure I didn't feel discriminated. This was nice and all, but I don't expect different treatment whether positive or negative.

Hello Matt, if gender bias doesn't find its way into your program, it's one less thing you'll have to worry about. God knows you have enough on your plate when it comes to nursing school.

Keep it in the back of your mind though, that way if it every does rear it's ugly head, you'll know it when you see it.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

UPDATE: Well, angry female professor and I get into it again. This time it was her pushing her political agenda on the students and when I argued her in to the ground she just lost it. Apparently we are supposed to embrace free thought only when it is her thoughts. Needless to say I am thinking a C in this class is inevitable. The program though is really showing it colors as of late. The intrim dean came in and gave us a speach. Afterwards, one of the other males turned to myself and another male and said, "well, how was that for a men are evil speach" PLEASE tell me it will be different in the feild.!!!!!!
    ~Adam

Adam,
    I am a female nurse I am currently in OB (not too many male nurses there), but before I did OB I did Open heart recovery (CVICU) and CCU. I found that there were many male nurses in both of those departments also many CRNA's are men. I feel that they are such a value to nursing, just as male teachers are to teaching. Please keep your chin up and don't give up. This "Teacher" is a moron. When you get out I think you will find your female collegues will be very happy to work with you. I am still very close friends with several of the male nurses I worked with when I first got out of school. I also would like to say I commend you for going to school as a single parent. I know it is tough but worth it. I am a single parent of teenagers and the greatest thing about nursing is the flexibility to work the kind of hours that you can be home more. They grow so fast !! Take care of yourself and I will be sending you positive vibes.

I had 2 instructors in school that I felt a bias from. They both were instructors for a long time, and I felt they were out of touch with the reality of the profession. Every place I have worked has been good to me. I have never had a problem here in the real world.

Don't her get you down.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast