Thread: Challenge LPN/LVN license?

Challenge LPN/LVN license?

I have been in the Air Force for 5 years working as a "Med Tech". I have worked everywhere from clinics, ambulance services, and inpatient wards. On the wards we basically do the LPN/LVN job working alongside the RN. I have heard people say before that they have challenged the board with their miliatry training to become LPN or LVN. Does anyone know how I would go about doing this or know someone who has done it?

Re: Challenge LPN/LVN license?

Your best bet is to contact the Nursing Board in the state you will be living in. Each state has their own set of requirements. You will have to pass the nursing boards in the state you live in if they allow you to take them with the experience you have had already.

I was kind of in your shoes. But let me tell you...LPN school is totally different than anything you have encountered before. Check with the board in your state.

Hey USAF4n0, I was a 902x0 many years ago and then the AF switched us to 4N0's after that I retrained into the 4FoX field (flight medicine). When I was stationed in Calif in 1990 I challenged the State boards and recieved my LVN license. So yes it can be done. As far as Texas goes, you'll need to check with your State Board of Nursing.

Hey there I challenged the CA board in March after being a 4N in the Air Force for 6 years.... Go to the BVNPT.CA.Gov if in Cali or the state board in TX. There are only 5 states that allow prior military to challenge. I know that I had to send in my dd214 and my EPR's. Also you has to prove that you at least had 1 year on an inpatient unit. Good Luck! I now work for the VA!:star::star:

You can also challenge it through EXCELSIOR School (formerly known as Regents).

Was recently told that some states (Oklahoma) won't license by endorsement if you attended an Excelsior school. Don't know if that applies here, but might want to check into it in case you ever need to relocate or travel.