Thread: narcotics in recovery

narcotics in recovery

Hi there,
    I haven't written in several months but continue to read all your posts on a regular basis. Everything that you share helps me in some way. I had shoulder surgery last Friday and knew the the type of pain management that would follow i.e., percocet. I got documentation from the surgeon, the anesthesiologist and the nurses of all meds given to me pre-intra-and post op so the Board has everything they need. I took percocet for 5 days and then flushed the remainder down the toilet. Now I'm just on OTC pain med and doing well. The thing I want to say is, I've been feeling really kind of down since I stopped taking the percocet. It's almost like a mental withdrawal. The same thing happened to me after withrawing of benzo's and narcs while I was diverting. It's just really strange and I know it will pass. It must be this brain/neuro pathway thing with addicts that triggers this???? Although I took the percs as prescribed, yes they did make me feel "relaxed" and now it's like something in my brain has triggered this mental withdrawal response. Does that make any sense at all? has anyone else experienced this? I'll be glad to get to my AA meeting tonight - I've also missed a few meetings due to surgery/being in hospital blah blah blah. So, just wanted to share my experience about narcotics in recovery. It's tough to be an addict! but great to be alive. Hope you're all well and happy new year.

Re: narcotics in recovery

hey, it makes all the sence in the world having been 13 years clean a back surgury lead me to relapes, i was not will to talk bout the let down, and contimued the pain meds with real or imagened pain. for addicts there is a part of your brain that the drugs control the feel good center in the hypo thalmus. when abstinate it lies dormate but after re-exposer perscribed or not it gets awoken again, it makes you think about the drug daily. after 13 years i rearly thought about drugs on a daily bases, but after the surgury it was a constant,. talk about it go to more meetings nd keep the beast caged ha!