Thread: International Student: In Need Of Help And Advice, Please!

Red face International Student: In Need Of Help And Advice, Please!

Hello, I'm kind of new to this very informative forum. I'm Markus by the way from England, United Kingdom.

I am about to start a Bachelor in Science (BSc) Adult Nursing here at King's College, University Of London - which is a 3 year course. The Florence Nightingale Nursing School at King's is deemed as the best Nursing School in the UK and is the first ever nursing school in the world.

I would like to transfer to a Californian University at Junior level, preferably in UCLA for their BSN Nursing.

My reasons for wanting to transfer/finish my degree there are because:

1. My parents will eventually be working there in California (so by the time I transfer, I will have a 'green card' status. So it will hopefully ease my financial problems as I can possibly get Federal aid, I think.

2. If I gain a BSN degree in the USA, I could use it as an entry requirement if I want to further my Nursing education and training in, say, Certified Registered Nurse Anesthetist Programs.

My questions are:

1. Is this 'transfer from the UK Nursing School to UCLA Nursing school been done before? From their website, they have mentioned that 'Transfer students' are permitted but I think they are referring to the Community College students.

2. How long does a RN to BSN conversion postgraduate program last? And what requirements would I need to have to start that course?

3. Would you advice me to just finish my BSc Nursing degree in the UK instead?

Would you advice me to apply to a Community College instead? (But I would be wasting 2 years of my time co'z I'm already 20, and students start their degree in the UK at the age of 18.

Any help, clarifications, suggestions would be greatly appreciated. Many thanks in advance!!!

Markus.

Re: International Student: In Need Of Help And Advice, Please!

I'd suggest you contact UCLA Nursing program with these questions.

Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN