Thread: New Dialysis RN

New Dialysis RN

I am just wandering what are those examples of how you will deal to the common complications of hemodialysis treatment? What will you do if there is alarm in arterial, venous pressure or in air detector in the fresenius machine?

Cool Re: New Dialysis RN

Troubleshooting always starts with looking @ your patient and their access. Arterial alarms may be resolved by simply flipping the arterial needle. Could also be just that the chamber is too low...attach a 10 cc syringe and fill the chamber. if you are getting a false air detect alarm try cleaning the chamber holder with alcohol swab, but always check for air or clotting.

Re: New Dialysis RN

I was taught the first thing to do if you get an arterial alarm is to check the blood pressure- then reposition the arm. Apparently an arterial pressure alarm can be the first indicator that BP is dropping.

Air detector alarm (if there is no visible air): pull air from the venous drip bulb with a syringe.

Venous pressure is usually due to needle placement or stenosis- reposition the arm- flipping the needle may be needed. These aren't the only solutions for these problems, but off the top of my head with my limited experience this is what I came up with