Thread: can a patients family control nursing assignments?

Anonymous

can a patients family control nursing assignments?

I work in a hospital in California, and have taken care of a patient whose family is very controlling of all aspects of her care. They have gone so far as to make a list of the nurses whom they approve of to care for their loved one. They gave this list to the Nursing Director of the hospital, and she approved it. I'm on the list, but am the only nurse for the shift I work, so I'll always take care of this patient. I've never refused a patient care assignment, but I also don't want to put myself in a position to be sued by this overzealous family. I feel like the hospital administration has really let the nursing staff down, and put me and the other nurses on the list in a very compromised situation. Is there any action I can take other than talking to my superiors, who have been less than helpful? Any advice would be appreciated.

Re: can a patients family control nursing assignments?

That is definitely letting the family go too far. Legally, no. Unless they're paying for private duty nursing 24 hours/day, 7 days a week they do not have any rights over what nurse takes care of their family member.

Refusing to take the patient can put your job at risk as there are few protections available unfortunately.

I'd get a consensus for how the other nurses "on the list" feel. In facilities that I work in, you get who you get unless complaints are filed against this nurse or that.

It's definitely a difficult situation for you to be in. I'm sorry to hear that your hospital administration has caved in like they have. Doesn't say much for their support of their own nursing staff.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Member Extraordinaire

Re: can a patients family control nursing assignments?

we've had patients say certain nurses couldn't come in their room and also have ones that request a certain person when they come in for labor but they also get what they get. There's one pt right now who has said she doesn't want certain nurses and I'd wish she would not let me in but I really don't try and get kicked out. She kicked out the nices nurse on our unit because she "has a negative attitude" I've never heard a negative word out of this nurse...oh well