Thread: MSN to RN

Wink MSN to RN

I'm a Nurse wannabe. I won't be able to start nursing school until the fall of 08 or fall of 09, however, I already have a BS in interdisciplinary studies and teach middle school right now. I'm getting married and don't want to start nursing school until after the wedding. My question is this. I was recommended by my admissions counselor at a major online school here in houston to get my MSN now, and then when I go back for my RN ADN I'll already have my MSN. It just seems weird to me to get the MSN before the ADN. What do you think?

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: MSN to RN

What the.....! That's taking a major step backwards! The 'alphabet soup' goes ADN, BSN, MSN, PHD/DNS. Thus, you got some bad information some where.......

BTW....welcome to the site!

'Cat'

Member Extraordinaire

You would need to get your BSN before getting your MSN.......

Not necessarily. If she already has a BS in another program, she can go straight from ADN to MSN. But I don't see how you would get MSN then ADN or why....you need the RN to go for MSN. You don't have to get the BSN in the middle anymore though. At least with certain schools. For example, UCF has an ADN to MSN program if you've got a bachelors in another field. I know several people enrolled and loving that program. I'm in a concurrent ADN/BSN 22 month program and loving it (all except the lack of sleep ). There are more options than ever now.

Sounds like the admissions counselor simply didn't know nursing. Is there a more nursing-dedicated counselor to check with? Good luck- Toddy

There are several programs offering transition to M.S.N from A.D.N. or a Baccalaureate of some other field(e.g. Biology, Chemistry, etc.). However, the options are limited; as certain programs will not allow those without an initial RN licensure to pursue, as such many ICU's especially in this area(demographic: Trauma I) will not hire individuals of this path into critical care settings.

Your best bet is to speak with a student advisor with regard to applying your current general education credits to a B.S.N. or even A.A.S./A.D.N. program and pursuing the subsequent years of nursing education for initial RN licensure. Afterwhich, you should have no problem pursuing your M.S.N. in any field of nursing; whether transferring from A.D.N./A.A.S. or B.S.N.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles