Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: Lack of male patient privacy

Member Extraordinaire

Re: Lack of male patient privacy

Well, said, Aaron!

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

I thank you, Aaron. We have to WORK TOGETHER! That seems to be a wide spread problem nowadays: *ME* first, and phooey to the rest.

My apologies Magredc5, my dob is 1978. In conclusion, I was very polite
    when I went there. I had a total of 7 nurses if you go back and read
    my original post. It's concerning in that I went through 7 caregivers
    and each one showed a flagrant disregard for my privacy. It's sad really!

Quote Originally Posted by Muscleman View Post
    My apologies MagRedC5, my dob is 1978. In conclusion, I was very polite when I went there. I had a total of 7 nurses if you go back and read my original post. It's disconcerning in that I went through 7 caregivers and each one showed a flagrant disregard for my privacy. It's sad really!
    IMHO, you owe Amanda & Aaron an apology, rather than myself. Just stop venting at the members here, which in fact are fellow moderators & the owner of this site, LOL.

Again, we were merely trying to explain from a nurses perspective. We were not discounting your right to patient privacy. You kind of got side tracked a little with your mud slinging at fellow members here and muddy'd the waters. Let's clean this thread up by making productive comments, rather than judgemental comments.

:cool:
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Muscleman,

I understand your anger over your invasion of privacy experience and can somewhat understand how you extrapolate your experience as being typical of what all male patients experience. I agree with you only as far as that sometimes less concern is exercised when the male chest is exposed. If while you were in the emergency department, the curtain was left open and you were exposed, you have a legitimate reason to be upset but if the nurse while in the process, failed to close it completely, I'm inclined to think it was an honest oversight. I find it hard to believe that throughout your hospital stay, the entire staff was cavalier about your privacy. You were a patient in a hospital and your body was going to be repeatedly examined. Your attire was going to be designed for that purpose and if your issue was urological, you wouldn't be wearing undershorts. The whole experience was going to be uncomfortable. I struggle with your outrage over what for as long as I can remember has been the standard joke about being in a hospital; that you lose your modesty. Have you never seen the get well cards featuring a bare butt sticking out from the back of a jonnie coat?

I've been a healthcare provider for almost thirty years and have never disregarded my patients' privacy. My colleagues and I strive to keep our patients covered as much as possible because we realize that so often, they must be exposed. Additionally, I have been a patient myself several times. Each time the experience made me feel vulnerable and exposed but I got over it and I never felt as though my privacy was disregarded. In your last entry, you summarily dismiss all of the care and treatment that you received while in the hospital as substandard because you feel as though your privacy was consistently violated. Furthermore, you indicate that you are outraged enough to send a letter to your health insurance carrier to request that XYZ hospital not be granted provider status for your employees. Do you actually feel as though this position is warranted and not perhaps overreactionary? Do you also feel as though staff at this particular hospital treats their patients modesty differently than staff at any other?

My experience has been that people generally understand that these things happen when something is wrong with their bodies and they go to the hospital to get it fixed.

In closing, I'm going out on a limb here but I have to inquire about your habit of working out in the gym. I myself work out in a gym and one gym rat to another, you have to admit that there is little modesty there. Like most, I wear tank tops and shorts when I work out. This exposes a little skin but I get hot and I sweat so I wear what I view as proper attire. When I finish my workout, I shower there which means that I appear nude in front of others. I'm not an exhibitionist but I have no hang-ups about nudity either. Is this different for you, muscleman, or do you wear full length pants and shirt at the gym and shower at home? Am I barking up the wrong tree?

R

What one person may perceive as a blatant disregard for privacy, another might not even notice or care about. I spent enough years in the military that I can shower/dress/toilet with other people right there and can just ignore them; my good friend however is very shy and would be horribly offended if she had to do any of these with other people present.

My point, Muscleman, is that perhaps your expectations were outside the "norm"? Did you communicate your needs/desires to the nurses who cared for you? Were your needs/desires reasonable, or something that might interfere with your safety and/or their ability to do their job?

If I ever did something as a nurse that made a patient uncomfortable I hope they would tell me! Atleast then I could pass it along in report that pt is uncomfortable and possibly quite anxious. I am pretty good about pulling curtains as i walk into a room if i know im going to do something invasive or "revealing", however, again.. still human and sometimes im at the bedside before i reach back and pull it. Having never worked in the ER I cant really say but i do know that most ER's have minimal privacy with or without curtain as well as semi private rooms in hospitals. SO... while it is our best effort to maintain privacy especially with conversation we are still humans who are understaffed and over worked. NOt an excuse I am aware!! IN terms of this being more so for men than women, i disagree!!!! If im undressing someone the curtain gets closed. the end. just like if the patient is comatose... they dont know if the curtain is closed or not but it still gets pulled. I agree with other posts that said these complaints should have been filed with the hospital at fault. if you did not get the results you wanted you should have kept going up, not down to a nurses forum with no room in your mind set for understanding. HOwever, I will apologize none the less for these nurses and your experience.
    J. Smith, L.P.N

My Rap Sheet

James the name, to my friends it's Muscleman.
    CEO, Entrepreneur and Software engineer.

Hobbies: I provide financial startup costs for homeless animal shelters.
    Champion for lost and homeless pets.
    Avid bodybuilder and martial artist since I was 13.
    Visit as many coffee shops as I can before I die.

Sleep, who needs it. Waste of time!

My mother....My best friend

Girlfriend...Kate

My dogs...Bart and Misty

Crime committed......Being a male patient in a hospital.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

It's the coffee that did it! LOL!

Quote Originally Posted by Muscleman View Post
    My Rap Sheet

James the name, to my friends it's Muscleman.
    CEO, Entrepreneur and Software engineer.

Hobbies: I provide financial startup costs for homeless animal shelters.
    Champion for lost and homeless pets.
    Avid bodybuilder and martial artist since I was 13.
    Visit as many coffee shops as I can before I die.

Sleep, who needs it. Waste of time!

My mother....My best friend

Girlfriend...Kate

My dogs...Bart and Misty

Crime committed......Being a male patient in a hospital.
    The above should be placed in your site profile. Otherwise, let it go.

BTW, I studied Judo, Uechi-Ryu Karate, Aikijujitsu, Army Combatives. What is your martial art of choice?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Page 3 of 7 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast