Thread: seattle hospitals

Smile seattle hospitals

Hi, Im new to the forums. My husband and I are both nurses and will be moving to seattle in about a year. We would like to know if anyone has any opinions on the swedish hospital system, harborview hospital and northwest hospital. These are our three favorites. Also any opinions on the best neighborhoods in the area. Thanks again.

Thumbs up Re: seattle hospitals

I used to work at Harborview and I loved it. It's a teaching hospital and is a great place to learn and perfect your craft. The DNS was great to work with and for and there are many specialties that you can work with. Good luck to you and your husband. Also, as far as I know the U of W hospital system has a great reputation. I still have RN friends who work there that really enjoy it.

Good luck...

Karen

Re: seattle hospitals

Quote Originally Posted by karen manners View Post
    I used to work at Harborview and I loved it. It's a teaching hospital and is a great place to learn and perfect your craft. The DNS was great to work with and for and there are many specialties that you can work with. Good luck to you and your husband. Also, as far as I know the U of W hospital system has a great reputation. I still have RN friends who work there that really enjoy it.

Good luck...

Karen
    Karen, how did you like union nursing?
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

I really liked working as a union nurse. I felt like I had recourse if I wasn't being treated with respect or I was asked to do something that I didn't know how to do, if I was consistently working overtime without breaks, etc... The nursing union appears to be pretty strong in WA, at most hospitals you have to join, I believe. The wages are generally better, I just felt more protected.
    Hope that answers your question. You have to remember though, I'm talking back in 1981 - 1987. You should probably ask RN's with more recent experience than me!
    Good luck...
    Karen

Quote Originally Posted by karen manners View Post
    I really liked working as a union nurse. I felt like I had recourse if I wasn't being treated with respect or I was asked to do something that I didn't know how to do, if I was consistently working overtime without breaks, etc... The nursing union appears to be pretty strong in WA, at most hospitals you have to join, I believe. The wages are generally better, I just felt more protected.
    Hope that answers your question. You have to remember though, I'm talking back in 1981 - 1987. You should probably ask RN's with more recent experience than me!
    Good luck...
    Karen
    My wife worked at Providence St Petes in Olympia in 2006. We both originate from Texas, a right to work state. She hates unions for nurses, but probably D/T she is not use to it being a nurse in Texas for many years. She now is a GS-10 nurse at Madigan Army Medical Center.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Does she like working at Madigan? Do they have a drug and alcohol unit there for soldiers and family members who are addicts?

Karen

Thanks for the post about harborview. We have actually narrowed our choices down to harborview and northwest in northgate. I have actually thought about trying to get into the burn unit at harborview. Thaks again for your opinion