Thread: Music Therapy and Nursing

Music Therapy and Nursing

Hello,
    Just joined the forum because I have tossed the idea of becoming a nurse around. I am currently a Music Therapist (new to the field having graduated in May 04 with a Bachelor of Music in Music Therapy). Ultimately I would like to somehow combine Music Therapy with nursing. I haven't quite figured out how or where but it is something that intrigues me. Anyway, since I am much more involved in the music therapy scene I was just curious to see what the nursing scene is like as far as music therapy is concerned. Has anyone out there ever been involved in a music therapy session as a nurse? If so what was your opinion of it? What do nurses in general know about the field of music therapy? I am just curious. I would love to hear anyone's thoughts and opinions and questions if you have any.
    Alissa

Re: Music Therapy and Nursing

Hello Alissa,

Personally, I've heard of music therapy but never seen it used where I worked. I wouldn't have any problem believing that the pleasure people get from listening to music can be therapeutic.

There are other nurses, that have quite a bit of experience. One you may want to contact is:

Susan Magrath R.N. A.N.P., Instructor of Nursing:"Susan has taught at Ball State University for one year, primarily in the areas of acute and critical care. Currently she is involved as a Board Certified Nurse Practitioner in a local pain management clinic.

Prior to joining the nursing faculty, she was employed at Ball Memorial Hospital (BMH) for 15 years and practiced as a registered nurse in critical care and hospice. Her research and special interest areas focus on palliative care and complementary therapies.

Susan has served as volunteer director of the YWCA Well Child Clinic from 1986 to 1994 and coordinator of the music therapy committee (BMH) from 1998 to the present. She has facilitated and coordinated a teleconference on music therapy at Ball State in conjunction with the BMH music therapy committee and Ball State's School of Nursing in 1999. In May 2002, Susan facilitated and sponsored a music therapy workshop at BMH."
    http://www.bsu.edu/cast/nursing/profile/0,1898,2410-507-16140,00.html

I'd guess that nurses in general don't know a lot about music therapy. Perhaps if more nurses did know about it, they'd develop a deep appreciation of it

Maybe you can help by educating us on how it can help our patients

Wish you the best.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.4nursing.com

Member Extraordinaire

I've seen music therapy by a therpist in pediatric psyc but could also see it used in neuro

It's good idea in nursing ..

I'll use it ..