Thread: I need you input please

I need you input please

Hey couganurse and everyone else, I am new to the board and must say reading everyone's post has been helpful but I am asking for your help. I have a 4 yr degree in Mass Communications and my career consists of 8 years of outside sales, 4 years of banking and management and lastly 3 years of residential construction and we all know how well that's going especially in Tampa. Anyway I am getting in nursing because I've always wanted to do it but was always scared to go back once I was in my other careers. Anyway here's my sit. I have no med./ nurse exp. I only need ant/phy 1 & 2 and micro to start nurse school. (12 creds.) but they won't accept me until I've completed them all and app deadlines are mid sem so that puts me at fall 09'. As the saga continues, I am starting PCT and a phlebotomy course at the end of Feb. I guess my questions are what can I expect as a pct/ CNA until nursing school? Can you work during nursing school? And since I have a B.S. in Mass Comm. do I need to get a BSN or will an RN w/ my degree suffice? Any and all input will be appreciated because my head is spinning.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Re: I need you input please

Welcome to the site!

In regards to your questions.....here it goes: As a PCT/CNA, you are the eyes/ears of the nurse. Sometimes you will notice things that we nurses don't. Yes, you will be doing alot of hands on care, such as cleaning, feeding, etc. (I often try to do this, too, but don't always have the time/ability.) Yes, you can work while attending school. To be honet, it was the only way I got through the last 2 semesters of school, myself! Make sure you have enough time to study, though.

As for the degree...you can always get your Associates Degree first, and then go on for your BSN later.

'Cat'

I'd advise you to check with your local colleges about the BSN. It might not take you any longer to get it than to get the ADN. And if you use the pct training to get your foot in the door, lots of hospitals have programs for tuition payment or reimbursement for nursing if you agree to give them time when you graduate. I'm an ADN, but I don't usually advise people to go that way- now most programs require all the pre-reqs to be done before you can start the 4-semester nursing part. You'll have 3 or 4 years invested in a 2-yr degree, and that just doesn't make a whole lot of sense. Good luck in your decision. cg

DMoney524 - As cougarnurse replied, it is definitely possible to work while going to school - provided you are ready to work many weekends. If you use you evenings during the week to study, you will have weekends free to work. A friend of mine (Respratory Therapist) went to nursing school full time and worked 2 doubles (16 hour shifts) on the weekends. The facility allowed her full time benefits with 32 hours and paid for her education with a requirement of 2years after passing boards.

As far as a BS goes, unless you plan on working management, it serves no person unless the facility has a clinical ladder program with regards to pay scale. You can always get your BS after graduating. A lot of universities are now offering online RN-BSN programs because the clinicals required are management based. I would say that if you want to get to work asap. Get your CNA while completing your prereqs for the RN program. Work as a CNA while completing your 2-year RN degree. Then decide if you want to go back for your BSN - since this is not a necessity, you can go 1/2 time, full time, or even take just one class a semester/quarter while you're working...

Ann

i went back to school and worked fulltime. i had to work friday, sat, sunday for 3 years so i could do it.
    cnas have different roles depending on which unit you work in. like in the post partum unit they do vitals, walk people, baths. but in the nicu they stock supplies, baths only in newborn nursery no real hands on care in the nicu. every unit is different call the manager of several units to see what the job specs are. that will help good luck