Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and nursing

Re: Tattoos and nursing

Believe it or not, before nursing school I had several face piercings to include: 1 labret, 2 lip rings, and my eyebrow. Upon my decision to begin Paramedic school and pre-nursing at the time, I was forced to choose between said piercings and a professional career. Fortunately, I chose nursing and paramedicine. However, I do enjoy the occasional tattoo; so long as it is in an area which can be hidden with scrubs. As far as the acceptability of ink in the hospital setting, I fear the stigma is more with the patient being cared for as opposed to the employers in general(especially in the geriatric population, as there are several negative connotations given to ink in today's society). Moreover, the occasional tattoo, so long as it is appropriate(e.g. no naked ladies, or pot plants), in the healthcare setting is becoming ever-more acceptable, when in moderation--particularly when it is a tattoo such as a star of life, etc. Research should be done into this topic, taking into account the views of employers and the patient. This sounds like an excellent utilization of free-time to me. However, I am a bit twisted in my research methodology as I recently told a prior professor/IC that I was going to do research into the detrimental effects of pop-culture and it's overwhelming affect on fire-safety, as I am afraid that when confronted with a fire, young ones will no longer "Stop Drop and Roll", instead they will be "Pop Locking and Dropping It", which is not that effective in the event of an emergency, unless you are talking about a laryngoscope that is. See Nurse pracs can be funny too.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse
    RN, B.S.N., CCRN, ccNREMT-P, FP-C,
    B.S. NeuroScience, M.S.N.(ACNP/FNP) Student
    ACLS, PALS, NRP, PHTLS, and all the other $2 titles

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by RNmedicTN View Post
    Believe it or not, before nursing school I had several face piercings to include: 1 labret, 2 lip rings, and my eyebrow. Upon my decision to begin Paramedic school and pre-nursing at the time, I was forced to choose between said piercings and a professional career. Fortunately, I chose nursing and paramedicine. However, I do enjoy the occasional tattoo; so long as it is in an area which can be hidden with scrubs. As far as the acceptability of ink in the hospital setting, I fear the stigma is more with the patient being cared for as opposed to the employers in general(especially in the geriatric population, as there are several negative connotations given to ink in today's society). Moreover, the occasional tattoo, so long as it is appropriate(e.g. no naked ladies, or pot plants), in the healthcare setting is becoming ever-more acceptable, when in moderation--particularly when it is a tattoo such as a star of life, etc. Research should be done into this topic, taking into account the views of employers and the patient. This sounds like an excellent utilization of free-time to me. However, I am a bit twisted in my research methodology as I recently told a prior professor/IC that I was going to do research into the detrimental effects of pop-culture and it's overwhelming affect on fire-safety, as I am afraid that when confronted with a fire, young ones will no longer "Stop Drop and Roll", instead they will be "Pop Locking and Dropping It", which is not that effective in the event of an emergency, unless you are talking about a laryngoscope that is. See Nurse pracs can be funny too.
    Hey RNmedic,

We could talk at length about the detrmiental effects of pop culture, couldn't we? LOL Ah, but we all seem to have survived it. Now that you've chosen to remove your facial piercings, how do you feel about the scars? Pinpoint holes in the ears are one thing but I wonder sometimes about the lips, cheeks and nose. What about the large holes that many people especially guys end up with? I bet that this is where true regret comes in. Will they lay out the $$ and get a little cosmetic fix at some point. I know a guy who eventually had his tongue repaired. During a particularly crazy period in his life, he had it split- you know, the forked thing... Now he's in the professional workforce and wears long sleeves and high collars but he's happy.

Anyway, how about an inservice. What is a labret?

R

Labret is the spot above your mandible and below your maxilla, directly under your lip in the dead center.

example: http://www.bodyjewelry99cents.com/im...et_%5B1%5D.jpg

Anyways, none of my piercings were that large(16g at the most), so I do not suffer from noticeable holes. You actually can't even notice them, lest you are too close for comfort. What they dont tell you is that with Lip rings, etc; if you take them out for more than half a day, the hole will start to close and the tissue matrix will repair itself. There will always be a small little hole, but it is no more noticeable than one in somebody's ear after they remove their piercing. Btw, I have never had my tongue pierced, so I couldnt begin to speak on that one. This was when I was 18, when I had these piercings, I am 24 now.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Thumbs up Re: Tattoos and nursing

Labret is the spot above your mandible and below your maxilla, directly under your lip in the dead center.

example: http://www.bodyjewelry99cents.com/im...et_%5B1%5D.jpg

Anyways, none of my piercings were that large(16g at the most), so I do not suffer from noticeable holes. You actually can't even notice them, lest you are too close for comfort. What they dont tell you is that with Lip rings, etc; if you take them out for more than half a day, the hole will start to close and the tissue matrix will repair itself. There will always be a small little hole, but it is no more noticeable than one in somebody's ear after they remove their piercing. Btw, I have never had my tongue pierced, so I couldnt begin to speak on that one. This was when I was 18, when I had these piercings, I am 24 now.
    It is amazing the maturity growth that takes place between 18 - 25, at least what I've seen in my own kids.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Well, to get a bit scientific; there are certain areas in the brain involved in decision making which do not fully form until you are twenty one years of age(which is why the legal age to smoke is 18 and the legal age to drink is 21). I would say, this lends alot to the decision making process.
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

Well, to get a bit scientific; there are certain areas in the brain involved in decision making which do not fully form until you are twenty one years of age(which is why the legal age to smoke is 18 and the legal age to drink is 21). I would say, this lends alot to the decision making process.
    LOL, maturity level and legal smoking & drinking age all in the same concept.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

Off-topic here, and Soldier will back me up: one can enlist/carry a gun at 18, but not drink?

BTW....at that age aren't we usually deciding what we're doing with our lives? Seems like many generations have done fairly well before this was broadcast.

You may all return to the thread.

Quote Originally Posted by SoldierNurse View Post
    LOL, maturity level and legal smoking & drinking age all in the same concept.
    What can I say, I am a dreamer. lol. :shades_smile:

If it was up to me, we would all be back in the 50s sharing soda pops, and preparing to give our school pins to Sandy Sue, before the box social(or whatever the devil you children are calling it now days).

Yes, Cougar I see where you are coming from. However, I am probably
    not the best example in nursing to exemplify that which is morally acceptable, as I actually took Riflery as an elective in my nursing curriculum, and when asked why by family members; I replied "Every good nurse should know how to use a gun".
    Flight/Trauma Nurse

What can I say, I am a dreamer. lol. :shades_smile:

If it was up to me, we would all be back in the 50s sharing soda pops, and preparing to give our school pins to Sandy Sue, before the box social(or whatever the devil you children are calling it now days).

Yes, Cougar I see where you are coming from. However, I am probably
    not the best example in nursing to exemplify that which is morally acceptable, as I actually took Riflery as an elective in my nursing curriculum, and when asked why by family members; I replied "Every good nurse should know how to use a gun".
    "Every good nurse should know how to use a gun".

LOL, Uncle Sam needs YOU, i.e. Army Nurse Corps!

BTW, it had been 15 years since I'd qualified at the rifle range D/T break in service... before I deployed to Iraq I shot expert at the rifle range, FEB '07.

Parked in front of the computer when I am not working

RNMedic, you ain't a dreamer; yes, every nurse should be able to defend oneself. I use a flintlock pistol, though. (Living History) Yes, I know how to use 'modern' weapons, but.....

Speaking of which, some re-enactor friends have 'wild' tattoos and all. Try explaining THAT to healthcare workers!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast