Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Tattoos and nursing

Tattoos and nursing

I am finishing the last of my pre-requisite courses this semester and plan to start nursing school in the fall. The question I have for you all is have any of you worked with a nurse that was heavily tattooed?

When I say heavily, I am referring to a full sleeve tattoo in the Japanese Irezumi style. Nothing on the hands, neck, face, etc. I have a full sleeve on my left arm, and the majority of my right is tattooed also. No offensive images, nudity, violence or anything that would be considered shocking or immoral. I know that in todays society, these kinds of things are not looked favorably upon in some circles, and am trying to get a reaction from those of you already in the profession.

I had the opportunity to talk with the Director of Nursing from one of the local hospitals and presented the question to him, and was told that as long as I was an accredited RN and could do the job, he could care less about the tattoos.

I would hate to think that this is something that could be an obstacle to hiring me at a hospital.

Thoughts?

Re: Tattoos and nursing

I've worked with several healthcare professionals who had some major artwork going on. Mostly that was when I worked in the OR. Lots of people have tattoos, including patients. In fact, my brother got a big one on his upper arm when he graduated nursing school (he was a real estate appraiser). It definitely shows from under his scrub sleeve, but nobody has ever said anything negative to him. And he works in the ED, so he sees a lot of people. Since you said it's tasteful and not vulgar, it shouldn't be an issue.

Some facilities require you to cover the tattoos by wearing a long sleeved shirt under your scrub top since there are some closed minded patients who do not like them.

Ricu

This question does come up here from time to time so it may interest you to look back through the archives. I am a male nurse who has no tattoos and no bias against them. I do however, believe that with whatever pleasure they provide, they can and do present hardships for those who have them. When one gets a tattoo and displays it publicly, (s)he makes a statement and much like with words, that tattoo speaks. This does for neither right nor wrong reasons, invite judgement that the wearer may or may not actually be aware of. Ever notice how sometimes, people either shy away from or draw near to a tattooed person? The bottom line is that with the color, comes a lot of responsibility- lifelong. Judgement is made.

Now to answer your actual question, I have worked with many people who have tattoos. Depending on the facility, the individual has been asked to cover the tattoo(s). In my current facility, you aren't required to cover tattoos which I'm sure relieves some tension for tattooed people but I have been in situations where patients are uncomfortable. Most of the time, nothing is said at all but some have said things. Of course this has a lot to do with the tattoo itself. I've heard little old ladies say "oh, my late husband got a tattoo just like that when he was in the Navy". Others have said "why on earth would you ever get a big scorpion tattoed on your arm"? I've seen the disapproval reaction where nothing is said but the mood is strained.

This begs the question, who's rights are infringed upon? The patient has the right to be at-ease with care providers within reason, and the staff have a right to self expression within reason. What is reasonable? The same can be said about hair color and style, make up, jewelry and location thereof, fashion, etc.

My advice to you is to keep your sleeve under a sleeve while in school clinicals. When you graduate and are interviewing, keep your tattoos coverred. When you get hired, inquire about the policy. Even if the policy is liberal, pay attention to what others are doing. If you see color around, then fee free to roll up your sleeves. I worked with a paramedic who's supervisor had a prejudice against tatoos so this guy just took it upon himself to keep the celtic bands on his biceps covered. He probably could've fought but chose to just go with the flow. He was the only one who had the issue because his tattoos would sometimes be visible.

Good luck,

R

Thanks for the replys.

Ricu, you are correct, there is a level of responsibility that comes with the decision to get tattooed, and it is magnified when the artwork is in a "public" location. One of the things I had done before getting back into school was actually working as a tattoo artist. It was a fun job, but had more pitfalls than I was willing to deal with as a father and husband.

While I have alot of artwork, it is all easily covered by putting on long sleeves. I was always hesitant to work on a customer that asked for a tattoo on the hands, neck of face. I explained that tattoos there were a guaranteed way to separate yourself from the rest of society for good. They can't be covered, and even with the broader acceptance of tattooing in today's society, artwork in these locations could pretty much guarantee you a hard time in finding work. In one case, I had seen where a couple was not allowed to move into an apartment in San Antonio becuase they have a strict "No visible tattoo" policy!

I knew this when I started getting my body art done. While I find working in an environment where tattoos are frowned upon as somewhat humorous, in a kind of sad way, I don't get offended or angry about it. I will say that I find that I can use my art work as a kind of personality "litmus test". They way that a person reacts to me based on what is on my arms tells me a great deal about that person.

I guess I will just have to feel my way into things during school, and then go from there. Since I have already found one hospital here that the DoN had no issue with my artwork, it gives me hope, but I have had this work for years, so if I get a negative reaction from some folks, it is not going to bother me a great deal.

I just wanted to poll the community to see how many of you have worked with someone with visible artwork.

Ricu

Quote Originally Posted by 91B View Post
    Thanks for the replys.

Ricu, you are correct, there is a level of responsibility that comes with the decision to get tattooed, and it is magnified when the artwork is in a "public" location. One of the things I had done before getting back into school was actually working as a tattoo artist. It was a fun job, but had more pitfalls than I was willing to deal with as a father and husband.

While I have alot of artwork, it is all easily covered by putting on long sleeves. I was always hesitant to work on a customer that asked for a tattoo on the hands, neck of face. I explained that tattoos there were a guaranteed way to separate yourself from the rest of society for good. They can't be covered, and even with the broader acceptance of tattooing in today's society, artwork in these locations could pretty much guarantee you a hard time in finding work. In one case, I had seen where a couple was not allowed to move into an apartment in San Antonio becuase they have a strict "No visible tattoo" policy!

I knew this when I started getting my body art done. While I find working in an environment where tattoos are frowned upon as somewhat humorous, in a kind of sad way, I don't get offended or angry about it. I will say that I find that I can use my art work as a kind of personality "litmus test". They way that a person reacts to me based on what is on my arms tells me a great deal about that person.

I guess I will just have to feel my way into things during school, and then go from there. Since I have already found one hospital here that the DoN had no issue with my artwork, it gives me hope, but I have had this work for years, so if I get a negative reaction from some folks, it is not going to bother me a great deal.

I just wanted to poll the community to see how many of you have worked with someone with visible artwork.
    Hey 91B,

It sounds like you're in a good place when it comes to how you will fit into the healthcare community. Tattoos? Either you like 'em or you don't and I'm okay either way... You imply that an individual's personality really seems to complement the body art and I agree with that. There are many who carry quite a chip on their shoulders when it comes to how the public views their artwork.

Stay in touch-

R

Quote Originally Posted by 91B View Post
    I am finishing the last of my pre-requisite courses this semester and plan to start nursing school in the fall. The question I have for you all is have any of you worked with a nurse that was heavily tattooed?

When I say heavily, I am referring to a full sleeve tattoo in the Japanese Irezumi style. Nothing on the hands, neck, face, etc. I have a full sleeve on my left arm, and the majority of my right is tattooed also. No offensive images, nudity, violence or anything that would be considered shocking or immoral. I know that in todays society, these kinds of things are not looked favorably upon in some circles, and am trying to get a reaction from those of you already in the profession.

I had the opportunity to talk with the Director of Nursing from one of the local hospitals and presented the question to him, and was told that as long as I was an accredited RN and could do the job, he could care less about the tattoos.

I would hate to think that this is something that could be an obstacle to hiring me at a hospital.

Thoughts?
    I just took a look at some pictures of myself way back when (1970's); yes it was a tramatic experience, if anyone saw them I doubt I would ever work again.
    Point being that if all our decisions we make in life are to hinder us in our later decisions we are all screwed. I too have some art that can never be forgotten. It has never been an issue where employment is concerned, nor have I ever experienced any negative comments or looks from my patients or families. Once you have your new status of NURSE things change in how people percieve you. I seem to get more negative responces to my LOOKS when in civilian cloths than when in scrubs, people see us as life savers not as hooligans when in uniform.
    So if you are truely becoming a Nurse for the proper reasons (I have an unexplainable need to help people) then you will do just fine, and you will undoubtedly run into the one or two people who will look down upon you for your lifes past decisions. Don't let them affect you, they probably think Mother Theresa was a commy spy too.:devil_smile:

As a parting gift for your heart,
    The deffanition of ART is simple and streight forward:: All you need is for the ARTIST/OWNER (in this case YOU) to say it is art and have one or more persons agree with you that it is indeed art and no-one can argue the point with you. So if anyone sais anything about your ART know this:
    :27: "THE WORLD IS FULL OF BAD ART CRITICS".:6:

Stay real and don't let the world dictate to you what is popper after all if you did that you wouldn't be becoming a NURSE.

:fishing:Charlie, LPN Michigan
    "BECAUSE I SAID SO" IS NOT A GOOD ENOUGH REASON.

I don't have a prob with tattoos personally. However I am from the south ( people tend to be more conservative here) and every hospital in my area including the one I am at now requires that tattoos be covered and that visible body peircings be removed. I think this will change with time as tattoos are becoming more and more common. I have even noticed ink on some of the med students I have seen recently.

Quote Originally Posted by rn9104 View Post
    I don't have a prob with tattoos personally. However I am from the south ( people tend to be more conservative here) and every hospital in my area including the one I am at now requires that tattoos be covered and that visible body peircings be removed. I think this will change with time as tattoos are becoming more and more common. I have even noticed ink on some of the med students I have seen recently.
    It amazes me the number of female Soldiers with tattoos these days.
    Cary James Barrett, RN, BSN

Ricu

Hi folks,

Without being too obvious, I hope, I've been paying attention to body art in the healthcare setting. I'm sure everyone would agree that there has been a noticable increase in the amount of ink seen on both patients and workers alike. Some institutions require covering body art but sometimes it's obvious who has what when the same large bandaid or perpetual long sleeves never go away. I've seen the range from hideous to beautiful (my interpretation)and lately, there seems to be acceptance of everything. It wasn't that long ago when the "little old lady" would bristle at the sight of a bicep proudly displaying a skull smoking a joint. Now she says, "my grandson has ths same tattoo."

As far as piercings go. I feel that if somebody does a "double take", it needs to come out at work but, I'm old fashioned.

I suppose it's all good.

R

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast