Thread: I am freaking out- am I going to lose my license?

I am freaking out- am I going to lose my license?

Hi everyone.....
    I was just wondering if anyone could answer my question about a problem I'm having..... I got a DUI back in September, and is in ARD........which is basically one does classroom time rather than being convicted of the DUI. My problem is that last night after work, I had a friend call me who was drunk and could not drive. We live in the mountains, so there aren't any taxis, and begged me to come pick her up. I did, it was late on a Sunday, and I figured everything would be ok. (my driver's license is suspended as a result of the DUI). Well, I got pulled over! The penalty for driving under suspension is a month in jail......although I was NOT drunk......am I going to lose my nursing license? Has anyone experienced anything like this or known it to happen to anyone?? PLEASE HELP!!!!!! I am losing my mind....nursing is my LIFE!

Re: I am freaking out- am I going to lose my license?

I would contact the Nursing board in your state and see if they have any advice on how to handle this. Hopefully you won't do that again.. Good luck!

you will have to report this to the BON and good luck unfortunately the BON are not your allys they are there to serve and protect the public. I to have a dui i did a drivers diversion program but i still have a dui even after that fact. I have to report my dui real soon and not looking forward to it. Good luck to you!

you won't lose your license, unless it was a felony DUI even then im sure you would be offered some kind of rehabilitation program before they would consider revoking your license. You might lose your job due to attendance reasons as you'll be in jail for a month, depending on your employers policies.

look into your BON website to know for sure ,but im pretty sure you'll be fine.

I know this discussion took place some time of go, I got a DUI due to under age drinking, 10 days before my 21st bday . Does anyone know how the boards look at this? :confused:

Well Freaking Out I Can Tell You This, Ohio Board Of Nursing Are Real Tough Drug Test And All That Jazz At Your Expense Period The End. Let Me Know How It Went. I Put My License On Inactive Until I Can Afford To Go Through All The Bs From The Board. They Are Not Heartfelt @ All And They Will Punish For Any Conviction Now Misemeanor And Felony. They Are A Little To Strict. Do You Know How Many Nurses Are Social Drinkers Even Though Just Don't Get Caught. And If You Do Get Caught You Are Branded For Life Like A Common Criminal That Committed Murder. Heck You Can Be The Kind Of Person That Only Has 2 Drinks A Year And That Night Maybe Only Had 2 Drinks Well That Is Over The Limit And You Are Treated Like You Are A Lifetime Alcoholic In The Obon's Eyes Period.

Member Extraordinaire hppygr8ful's Avatar

Thumbs up Re: I am freaking out- am I going to lose my license?

As one who is about to complete the Diversion program in California I will tell you that you are probably in for a rough road. Depending your state and your license (LVN/RN) you may be offered a couple of options. In California it's either Diversion, a 3-5 year program or Probabtion, up to 7 years in some cases. The difference between the two is that with Diversion if you complete it there is no permanent record on your license. With probation there is a lifetime record.

The BON's job is not to be compassionate it's to protect public safety plain and simple. Even if you are not an alcoholic, you must realize that in the BON's eyes a reasonably prudent person of sound judgement does not drive under the influence. In my own case I never drove under the influence or was ever impaired at work, but I did have a serious alcohol problem and a husband that would not let me go into treatment so I turned myself in as an alcoholic to the board so as to get mandated into treatment. If I knew then what I know now I might have done things differently - but what's done is done and today I celebrated 4 years clean and sober. I am alive today because of the BS the BON put me through and I thank God everyday for that.

It all comes down to what your license means to you and what you are willing to go through to keep it. If you want to keep practicing as a nurse be prepared for a long road of mandatory treatment, AA meetings, Nurse support groups and mandatory drug testing, watching everything you eat and drink as false positives do occur! It's hell but again I'm alive today because of it.

From right now - no more driving no matter what. If someone is stuck drunk or otherwise call a sober friend to help. No more drinking and the sooner you turn yourself in and get started on a program the sooner it will be over.

Happy greatful sober and free

Hppy