Thread: Considering nursing need some advice...

Considering nursing need some advice...

I am a 30 year old accountant, married with 2 daughters. I have come to realize that the accounting world is not for me. I am too extroverted and relational for it. When I was a little girl I always wanted to be a teacher or a nurse. So over the last few weeks I have spent a long time asking myself what do I want to be when I grow up.

I keep coming back to nursing. But there are 3 things that have me worried...
    1) I have a weak stomach. I can handle my own kids' puke and poop, etc, but I don't always find it easy to be around other peoples. Being a Mom has helped my stomach but it still isn't steel that's for sure.
    2) I have a real fear of needles. Am I going to pass out the first time I have to stick someone? And I'm so nervous as a person is that is going to make it worse?
    3) No one in my family thinks I can be a nurse because of my stomach and my fear of needles.

Should I even try it in light of all these things. I want to be in a career where I make a difference, help people, and has room to try new things.

Thanks for any and all advice!

Re: Considering nursing need some advice...

Hi there!

Those things can definitely impair your performance but most people, including myself, have become more desensitized to it. The fact that you have learned to deal with your children is a good sign that you will get past it.

For me, it had a lot of it had to with willpower, rationalization, genuine concern for the patient and constant exposure. So let me tell you about my experience.

I willed myself to face my fear of sharp objects. The very first time we were handed syringes, I was scared silly. This was in a classroom, mind you. All we had to do was open them up and draw up water from a practice vial and ampule. That's it! No sticking people yet. When I was taking the cap off to expose the needle, I became really lightheaded. During the exercise, I reasoned with myself and so while I was drawing up the water, my mind was going "You are in control of the needle! If you just steady yourself, you will not hurt yourself. You cannot be like this in front of patients. *They* will get hurt."

As for odors, feces, urine and such, I encountered a lot of that in long term care facilities. For the first few times, the primary feeling in me was "I HAVE to take care of this patient" and suprisingly enough, I had no more room in my head to go ew, yuck, gross, I'm not doing that. Over time, I really have been desensitized and believe it or not, it has only been nine weeks into my nursing program.

So the point of this little novella is that most people do get past the fear and disgust. This does not mean that they are not there but rather that these nurses have gotten to a point where their will to do a good job is a lot bigger than the urge to turn away. The only way, really, is to go ahead and find out for yourself if you are up for it!

Good luck!