Thread: Nurses in high demand in Arizona

Nurses in high demand in Arizona

Mar. 6, 2005: Nurses in high demand in Arizona:"Arizona ranks at the bottom of the 50 states for nurse-to-population ratio. The shortage of skilled nurses is particularly acute in forensic nursing and home health, experts say. According to Kathy Player, dean of the Ken Blanchard School of Business at Grand Canyon University in Phoenix, the average age of a nurse today is 48, and fewer than 9 percent of all RNs are younger than 30. Education requirements for nurses vary. While a registered nurse can obtain a degree in two years, bachelor's and master's degrees in nursing also are offered at Grand Canyon and other universities in Arizona."
    http://www.azcentral.com/business/ar...obsmain06.html

Ouch, I knew the average age of nurses was 44-45. Did it jump up a few years while I wasn't looking?

Andrew Lopez, RN (35 Y/O)
    http://www.4nursing.com

Re: Nurses in high demand in Arizona

I WILL BE NEW TO TRAVELING-AFTER 15 YEARS OF DIALYSIS-I AM READY TO CHANGE.OF COURSE I NEED TO GO FOR THE TOP DOLLAR-AS I NOW HAVE 2 TEENS IN COLLEGE

Wish you luck on the road. I'd visit the travel nurse section of our forums and do a little research before you start making calls.

There's a lot of great advice there, they'll likely save you a lot of headaches.

Andrew Lopez, RN
    http://www.nursinga2z.com

Please Join Me. My travel company is hosting a Nurse Appreciation Dinner next week and they said I can invite any RN's that can attend. It is Thursday May 25th at the Arizona Golf Resort in Mesa, AZ. You can come between 4-9 and there will be dinner and drawing for give aways. I am working there in Arizona now, would love to see you all there! Let me know if you need more info.

Most of my experience is Psyche and Home Health. I am looking for a different nursing career direction. Just wondered if anyone knows how I could get into Occupational Health Nursing. I have never worked on a med surg floor and have basic clinical skills. I also took a long break from nursing and did office work and then recently came back to Psyche. I have seen a lot of Job Titles but do not really know what is involved. I am computer literate but the thought of giving meds and doing computer charting is very scary to me. Any feedback would be appreciated. I will probably be asking about a lot of different career directions.

Nurses in high demand in Arizona

If Nurses are in such high demand, why aren't they paying us like we're so in demand?

Quote Originally Posted by mytoon38 View Post
    If Nurses are in such high demand, why aren't they paying us like we're so in demand?
    I am trying to figure that one out too! If you figure it out please, let me know!!

Do many of the hosp. in AZ hire LVN's?? I am currently going to school in So. CA and graduate in Nov. Im looking to move around Jan. I was just wondering how difficult it would be for me as a new grad to get a job in a hospital. I have been looking into UMC in Tucson. Any other suggestions or input would be great! Thank you!
    Ashley
    Ashley